Fried Pork Chops

Probably 30 years ago, I fried up some pork chops. Just simple stuff, flour, seasonings with an egg wash.
Present wife then, asked what I did different and they were delicious. I said same as usual, then took a bite and agreed!

So I back tracked. Found I had dumped sugar into the flour container. (maybe beer induced) Had a mixture of both.
I still do them that way today. Probably a 60% flour and 40% sugar mixture and seasonings of your choice.
They caramelize very well and brown up nice. Just a tip, try it out.

Probably 30 years ago, I fried up some pork chops. Just simple stuff, flour, seasonings with an egg wash.
Present wife then, asked what I did different and they were delicious. I said same as usual, then took a bite and agreed!

So I back tracked. Found I had dumped sugar into the flour container. (maybe beer induced) Had a mixture of both.
I still do them that way today. Probably a 60% flour and 40% sugar mixture and seasonings of your choice.
They caramelize very well and brown up nice. Just a tip, try it out.
This sounds really good!
What do you fry them with? Butter? Oil? Lard?
TIA

I've seen cheap pork chops on sale for less than $1 a pound. The meat was generally good, but these were extremely thick and rather hard to cook. For the most part I just trimmed the bone off and used them for soup, and then cooked the protein separately.

Fried and then make gravy with the drippings. Throw the fried chops back in the gravy, cook on low with the lid on. So tender you don’t have to put your teeth in to eat.

Fried and then make gravy with the drippings. Throw the fried chops back in the gravy, cook on low with the lid on. So tender you don’t have to put your teeth in to eat.
I'm sure that is good, don't get me wrong.

They make some darn good gravy makings! But I like the crusty outside of the batter, not soggy from the gravy. To each their own.:D

The other secret is no secret. Good pork.

We have one of those new fangled farms across the road. You know the EXPENSIVE kind. But wow, they treat their pigs better than royalty. We splurge a couple times a year and buy $$$$$$$ome pork from them. The pork chops hardly need anything, just fry and eat. Super juicy, so soft and tender. Nothing like any store bought pig.

Did you know that French fries are commonly run through sugar water before being fried to make them brown better? This also maximizes acrylamide formation.

No more well done pizza?
Not every day!

Have you ever heard of a sugar tan? Also, high blood glucose levels can cause hyperpigmentation and the formation of skin tags. The latter can be an indication of diabetes but some people just get them.

Last edited:
Thin cut fried with white rice. :love:
1705542824321.jpg

The other secret is no secret. Good pork.

We have one of those new fangled farms across the road. You know the EXPENSIVE kind. But wow, they treat their pigs better than royalty. We splurge a couple times a year and buy $$$$$$$ome pork from them. The pork chops hardly need anything, just fry and eat. Super juicy, so soft and tender. Nothing like any store bought pig.

WOW...they are proud of that meat, but I bet it is good!

We know a local hog farmer, who has a big lot full of them. All sizes and they freely walk around. Go look at them, pick one out and shoot it on spot. He just judges the size by looking and names a price. I'm thinking the last one we bought cost about $1.00 per LB, live weight. We were smoking a hog for a smallish get together. I would estimate the hog at around 85 LBS.

I shot and dropped it, then threw into the pickup and drove back to my buddie's. We cleaned it and threw into the smoker. Some darn good eating.

Back