Freaking out about my ATF dipstick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
I have been working on a 2015 Altima; it has no dipstick.
I would like someone explain to me why Nissan (Honda and others) took them away.
Bunch of .... if you ask me.

"Level car. Temp has to be xxxx degrees within a billionth of a degree. And you need a ridiculous $$ scanner of some kind. Remove level plug. Has to drip out."

Please...

Yep-taking the work away from the "driveway mechanic". As I said-technological advancements are frowned upon here because of special tools and continuing education often needed.

Last edited:
There needs to be a way to measure proper fluid level.
Some say "put in the amount that came out".
Well, that assumes the proper amount was there to start with.
Some report 2.5 quarts came out, some 4, some 4.1, some 5.
Maybe that's just the procedure they followed or maybe the wrong amount was there to begin with.
Possibly both.

It should be easy to get the level within spec.
Who knows if the dealership (or any shop) follows the vehicle procedure?
I guarantee you not all do.

I ordered a dipstick for my friend's 2015 Altima that does not have a dipstick.
It is for a 2013, I believe. Gonna see how it measures.

Last edited:
The newer Hyundais just use a fill plug like manual trans. Fill it until it comes out and seal it up.

Checking the level (at least after a D&F) has always been a PITA for me. I followed the "add the same amount in that came out" rule the last two times and ended up overfilled. I think certain ATFs expand differently than others. My experience is mainly with Hondas but MaxLife ATF seems to expand quite a bit when hot compared to DW-1; perhaps since ML is a lower viscosity syn ATF? I drained one car cold and had 3 qts DW-1 come out. I added 3 qts ML in and was way over on the dipstick, even after a week when everything should've settled. I had to suck out almost 300 mL to correct the level.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back