frantz on coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if a person could put a frantz filter on a coolant system. Possibly beween the heater core hoses.
If so, should I use tp for a filtering medium, or would paper towel be better.

Use a tightly wound roll of high quality TP or the Frantz element. the weak point will be at the core. If you have a Frantz or Motor Guard and have TP with a 1 5/8" core try saving your TP cores. Split them and slide them in. The edges will overlap and seal. I prefer a compressing type TP filter for when you are dealing with water. Some use TP for a prefilter to save the expensive drinking water filter on marine vessels. TP can remove some bacteria. I haven't gotten around to using a Motor Guard filter with the Motor Guard elements. Probably not necessary with clean well water. The activated carbon filters last a long time. I ran an Amsoil water filter 10 years.

Ralph

Myko have you tested your coolant to see if the proper additive levels are maintained on your PSD? I dont know how fine the DCA or SCA is in the coolant and how fine of a filter it would take to remove the additive from the coolant.

No.. I haven't checked for any SCA's in my coolant.. I'm using the evans coolant along with the Frantz which was endorsed by Evans per Deborah from Frantz. Below was taken from Evans website:

Evans NPG (without the plus), the immediate predecessor of NPG+, is propylene glycol with proprietary additives. The benefits of NPG have been proven in thousands of applications. Of particular interest to users of heavy-duty diesels, the Evans waterless coolants avoid pump and cylinder liner cavitation erosion, again because of the large separation between operating temperature and coolant boiling point.

The anti-corrosion additives in NPG are stable and remain in solution for the life of the coolant (at least 500,000 miles) and no SCAs (supplementary coolant additives) are necessary. NPG also has almost no electrical conductivity, eliminating the damage to metals, hoses and gaskets caused by electrolysis.

Both Evans NPG and NPG+ are used as pure coolant - no water added. The non-aqueous solution boils at 370ºF (NPG) or 375ºF (NPG+), greatly reducing vaporization and eliminating vapor problems. Both coolants bathe the entire cooling jacket (permanent surface "wetting"), and significantly improve coolant surface effectiveness. Heat transfers more efficiently from the metal to the liquid coolant, and is carried off to the radiator for more effective elimination. Furthermore, any vaporized coolant recondenses while still in the engine, so the coolant continues to absorb damaging heat on its way to the radiator.

http://www.evanscooling.com/main23.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back