FRAM Tough Guard : Noticed this while watching the video ...

Was considering the Tough Guard . May stay with the FRAM Titanium for upcoming O.C.. Quality control is out of control . Not just FRAM . Plan to remove from box and inspect . 🔎

IMG_1830.JPG
IMG_1832.JPG

Last edited:
I am not a fan of this style of FRAM filter, they should drop the extra guard and replace the tough guard with a Champ style design. But from the looks of it only filtered oil would get through that.

I don't see this as an issue. My understanding is the function of the inner steel tube, is to keep the filter media from collapsing. Filtered oil does not necessarily need to pass through the tube. The flat fiber pad is what seals between the in and out sides of the filter. I would think that by design, the steel tube shouldn't come all the way to the fiber pad. If it did, it could interfere with the fiber pad properly compressing and sealing against the boss.

If it didn't need a center tube for media support, you could take the center tube out and all the oil would still go through the media and be filtered. This has raised eyebrows before by people thinking that a gap as pointed out somehow causes dirty oil to bypass the media, but it doesn't.

Instead of starting a new topic to ask a question, who makes Castrol oil filters?

I’ve bought a few in the last year from Canadian Tire.

That probably will not cause any problem. The media being glued to the end would also add additional support to prevent the media from moving towards the center for that very small gap.

Also, I expected if this was a serious problem others would have already pointed out used oil filters that have broken in that area and I don't think anyone has ever done that.

We've been though this...

The seal is between the media and the end cap and the leaf spring and the ADBV... The center tube just keep if from collapsing, it has absolutely zero to do with sealing beyond that.

The center tubes in these will slide back and forth too...

Back