FRAM TG3614 and WIX 51348 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HX520W
After looking closely at the FRAM I've come to the conclusion that the filter didn't fail but did have a manufacturing error.

Think of the weight savings from the elimination of that metal strip. The Fram offers improved fuel economy over a heavier filter.
02.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I don't think the TG 3614 has a metal crimp but I could be wrong. See example of cut open pictures here with no metal crimp:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2758899

It's the only example I could find with a quick google search.

That's very strange because like I said above the first and only other TG3614 I've opened had a crimp. Both of these filters were purchased at the same store sometime in early September of 2012. I still have what's left of the other filter if anyone wants pictures. (Be warned though as I got a bit carried away taking every single piece apart.
grin.gif
)

Oops. So much for the "superior" filtration efficiency of the TG over the Wix stated earlier in the thread. Not so much with this on. Metal crimp or glued looks like this one was in perma bypass along the seam.

Stuff happens.

Originally Posted By: HX520W
The WIX was installed on a 2008 Dodge grand caravan 3.8L on October 1st 2013 and was in service for 4100 miles until August 12th 2014. I have no complaints about the construction of this filter. In use however it did cause loud lifter noise on start up. (Start up noise was fixed by going back to a FRAM TG.)

The FRAM was installed on a 1997 Saturn sl1 that previously didn't have an oil change for 11k miles and didn't have a filter change for 17k (previous filter was a NAPA pro select which tore in four places). The filter was installed on April 4th 2014 and was in service for 3100 miles until August 22nd 2014. I have one possible complaint about the construction of this filter (see second to last picture). In use I'm very happy with how this filter performed. Even with how dirty the engine is it took weeks before the oil became dark enough to get a good reading on the dipstick.

L4jTVbh.jpg

RmKkkdE.jpg

Side with the seam in the media
qHrOODR.jpg

Side opposite the seam
57xOWYl.jpg

lHnV9we.jpg

SUaXlvj.jpg

Maybe Motorking can explain this to me. I cut open one other TG3614 before this one and it had a metal crimp where both ends of the media meet. Was there a design change or was this filter somehow skipped during manufacturing?
bxIywdl.jpg

^^Note all the junk between the pleats.^^

This is how much junk the FRAM captured in two pleats
eek.gif
puD9tz9.jpg

We would like to see that filter. Can you please contact 800-890-2075 and press the option for claims and quality? We have built some filters where the pleats are glued together instead of crimped. In any event, we would like to evaluate it.
Thanks

TG looks OK for a car that was dirty to start with. that much crud in 3K miles is high. The Napa and the previous oil must not have been doing a good job at the end of the OCI to leave that much crud in the engine. I'll bet its sludged up pretty good and the new oil is breaking that loose.

Fram would not be my first choice but i wound't die if it was my only convenient choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back