Fram PH5046 cut open (outsourced Fram)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was one of my Rockauto purchases, I usually add a filter or two as they're dirt cheap (moreso when on closeout) and don't usually add shipping cost if you pay attention to the warehouse(s).

When browsing for filters for my '04 Odyssey I came across a PH5046 on the Rockauto catalog page. It has the same specs as a PH3593A or PH7317 (the normal 20x1.5 thread filters used on this application) but Fram's website shows this filter being used on tractors-- Bobcat, Yanmar, Komatsu, etc., but no vehicle applications. At $5, why not try it. When it arrived, it was no Fram Extra Guard. It's some filter they outsourced (the PH3816 is another tractor filter I'm familiar with, and it's also an outsource) that is built like a tank but in Fram clothing. Notice how thick the can is in the below pics. It's easily as heavy as any Mobil1 filter I have in the garage. The product specs say its 5" tall, I find that hard to believe. It's a tad taller than a PH7317 but noticeably wider. Made in Mexico. No idea who the manufacturer is-- it seems more like a Hastings filter than anything I'm familiar with.

I ended up using it on my 1996 Nissan Maxima; this is about the largest filter I can fit in the available space on the VQ30DE engine (it calls for the small, skinny PH7317.) The engine has 220k miles on it, oil was run about 7k (Pennzoil Platinum 0w-40 SRT branded stuff from last year's Autozone Oil closeout.) Engine didn't seem to care that the filter was made for a tractor. Here are the pics:

of1.jpg

of2.jpg

of3.jpg

of4.jpg

of5.jpg

Metal endcaps on a orange can. Very interesting and impressive. Looks like it has louvers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back