FRAM DRIVE 10575 CUT OPEN

Off a 22’ Cadillac full size SUV WITH 3.6 V-6 engine.

Out: this and unknown(hopefully DEX 1 Gen 3 5w30 oil)

In: Safety Kleen synthetic 5w30 and a ProTec 10255 filter made in Mexico. 30k on vehicle

Attachments

• IMG_8505.jpeg
    IMG_8505.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_8502.jpeg
    IMG_8502.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_8500.jpeg
    IMG_8500.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_8498.jpeg
    IMG_8498.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_8499.jpeg
    IMG_8499.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_8504.jpeg
    IMG_8504.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_8497.jpeg
    IMG_8497.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_8496.jpeg
    IMG_8496.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 92
I've never seen a problem with the fiber endcaps on the Frams.
The latest youtube video by Brand Ranks tested a bunch of Fram filters. The Extraguard had a big gap that allowed unfiltered oil through. Maybe more of a glueing issue than an end cap issue, but as a result it performed ~200 times worse than the Toughguard in the particle count test for larger particles.

The latest youtube video by Brand Ranks tested a bunch of Fram filters. The Extraguard had a big gap that allowed unfiltered oil through. Maybe more of a glueing issue than an end cap issue, but as a result it performed ~200 times worse than the Toughguard in the particle count test for larger particles.
Just one or multiples?

The latest youtube video by Brand Ranks tested a bunch of Fram filters. The Extraguard had a big gap that allowed unfiltered oil through.
That "gap" has been discussed in many threads over the years. If the pleat ends are 100% glued to the end cap, and the circumstance around the center tube hole is sealed by the ADBV or leaf spring, then that gap makes no difference. The metal center tube could be removed, and there would still be a seal from dirty oil. BR would have to test a few more filters to see if that one actually had a problem.

Also, if I was doing that "efficiency test" based on resulting particle count data, I'd lower the dust loading rate and cut the test when the same volume of dust spiked oil passed through each filter, and not let the dP go above 5 PSI to ensure the bypass valve never opens. Would also show the whole PC range instead of only half of it.

Media looks ok but I am not in favor of the plastic cage so I wouldn't use it myself.

Last edited:
The window size and spacing of the eCore center tube looks good. Nothing to worry about there. I like the thicker felt end caps than the ones used on the EG and TG. Fram doesn't list the efficiencyof the Drive filter on their website.

Also, if I was doing that "efficiency test" based on resulting particle count data, I'd lower the dust loading rate and cut the test when the same volume of dust spiked oil passed through each filter, and not let the dP go above 5 PSI to ensure the bypass valve never opens. Would also show the whole PC range instead of only half of it.
I gave it a re-watch and it does seem like the dP for the Extraguard was right around the 12 psi bypass pressure rating when the sample was taken, so it could be that the valve was opening.

Back