FP3000 vs. FP60 anti-oxidation capabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious how the new FP3000 will behave as a fuel oxidation retarder versus the FP60. The reason being my '77 Chev 454 pickup only gets refueled about once a year now.

It seems the FP60 works pretty well in this regard- started it yesterday for the first time in about eight months and she purred like a lion.

Hopefully so. The dilution ratio is so great with FP3000 that it would seem it couldn't possibly be as effective even if its role were only as an antioxidant exclusively.

Then again, chemistry is always advancing...

Even more curious now as I'm just about out of FP60...

Perhaps I should've labeled the topic "FP3000 vs. FP60 fuel stabilization capabilities" though oxygen is likely the major killer.

I don't think the dilution ratio means anything with regards to antioxidation capacity. Heck, there are drugs that can easily kill someone that are offered in concentrations 1000 times stronger than the amount that can kill you in just a few mililiters. FP3000 is only twice as "concentrated" as FP60, IF it is accurate to say that 1 ounce per 10 gallons is twice as concentrated as 1 ounce per 5 gallons. It's probably not that simple, as the chemistries are presumably different.

I reckon which mechanism of preservation the fuel stabilizer used (assuming there's more than one known type) would be the key. I keep thinking of preservatives which grab oxygen and bind it to the preservative substance... Greater dilution may mean less effectiveness since there would only be so much preservative that could molest so many oxygen atoms.

My memory ain't what it used to be but IIRC food preservatives such as BHA, BHT, TBHQ, propyl gallate, etc. work on this principle. Funny thing, too- I just remembered a short article in one of the auto magazines some years ago mentioning BHT as a gasoline preservative- just throw in a teaspoonful (or was it a tablespoonful?) and it would help preserve it. Me wonders if Sta-Bil is just liquid food preservative? Kinda smells phenolicky to me.

Sorry I got off on a tangent- I'll probably just triple the normal FP3000 dosage in my '77 Chevy 454 truck- it likely won't hurt it and I've got four gallons of FP3000 too.

Quote:

Crash - For a few dollars, why not put some Sta-Bil in the tank, as an addition to the FP?

From my experience with gas stored over the winter w/ FP, the above not needed as the gas stored did not seem stale at all when used in the spring.

Quote:

From my experience with gas stored over the winter w/ FP, the above not needed as the gas stored did not seem stale at all when used in the spring.

Exactly.

offtopic.gif
I think we could use some more avatars for total accumulated contributions exceeding a C-note. Just a thought...

FP PLUS for gas works great as a stabilizer at one ounce per 10 gallons of fuel. The antioxidant properties are increased in FP PLUS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back