Ford oil filter help?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Pep Boys tonight, looking to pick up a Purolator oil filter for the Tbird and a buddy's Mach 1 mustang. Usually I'll use the Motorcraft Fl-820s, but with the Purolator rebate I just decided to pick up a pair of classics. I forget the Puro equivalent to the 820s...but there was another choice! It was a purolator L22500. It was taller, but not as fat as a 820s. Are these ok to use on our 4.6Ls? I have never seen a different size filter for the Ford 4.6 and 5.4Ls. This particular filter was appealing to me because it seems like it would be easier to get on and off my Tbird than the 820s. Anyone running these on a 4.6? This is off topic but I also scored 10 quarts of Kendall 5w30 syn blend for a buck a piece! I love clearance motor oil!

Does Purolator say the L22500 is a cross reference equivalent for your application? If they do, it should be ok to use. If not, find out why.

That is the purolator version of the Motorcraft FL500s. It will physically interchange with the 820 however it has a lower bypass psi setting.

Used on the new 5.0 and 3.7 quad cams in the new mustangs.

Don't know enough about bypass settings to advise whether or not you should use it.

Originally Posted By: Funster226
That is the purolator version of the Motorcraft FL500s. It will physically interchange with the 820 however it has a lower bypass psi setting.

Used on the new 5.0 and 3.7 quad cams in the new mustangs.

Don't know enough about bypass settings to advise whether or not you should use it.

+1

That is the FL500 equivalent being used on many 09+ applications. It has a different bypass setting than the FL820 but is otherwise the same. I use a FL820 on my FL500 application. I dont see why you couldnt do the opposite, though YMMV, and proceed at your own risk...

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
It has a different bypass setting than the FL820 but is otherwise the same. I use a FL820 on my FL500 application.

Yes, the FL-820 & FL-500 filters differ in bypass settings, but they are not "...otherwise the same." They also differ in dimensions and surely in media content.

What "...FL500 application." are you referencing. You only list a 2004 Crown Vic vehicle which specs a FL-820. Did you intend to say that you use a FL-500 on your FL-820 application, i.e. the Crown Vic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back