Ford moving Fusion mfc from Mex and Esp to China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Just be glad that the Japanese and Koreans don't get along too well with the Chinese, so they will keep their factories in NA for a little while longer, but the allure of money is too strong for them to keep out of China.

Most of them already have assembly plants in China.

Worked in S Korea several times … two things that are not common: Japanese cars and American cars …
The first time I worked there all the big SK companies were making parts in North Korea … I always figured some of those made their way to the US …

Originally Posted By: Claud
Just throwing a thought into the ring; So North America are on a path to phasing out internal combustion engines. China, the fastest growing market right now, seems to have no such plans. So gear up to make the product inside its core market. Perhaps Ford has plans to build alternative powered vehicles in place of the old plants.
On the other hand the directors and major shareholders probably don't care about the welfare of those put out of work, if the profits are still rolling in from elsewhere. The ugly face of capitalism perhaps?.

Claud.

On the contrary, China has far more aggressive plans to phase out IC engines than the U.S. This will be done by edict and coercion, so this is not the reason for the Fusion move. China wants to be the leader in EV technology, which it views as the future and part of the solution to its terrible urban air pollution problems.

Ford has certainly jumped on the EV bandwagon and perhaps will make EV/hybrid the standard for its North American sedans, maybe assembled in Hermosillo.

The quality of products made in China is dependent on the primary company and their quality control. Apple products for example are highly regarded as being of high quality. I recently bought a Vizio television and I was impressed by the build quality. Of course, there are things we cannot see and that we have to assume its the same as what we do see.

Let me say this about that from my Apple iPad: China must have liked Visio since not that long ago it was a US company that a Chinese company bought …
wink.gif

BTW… have 5 Visio TV’s that predate the buyout

Vizio …

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Let me say this about that from my Apple iPad: China must have liked Visio since not that long ago it was a US company that a Chinese company bought …
wink.gif

BTW… have 5 Visio TV’s that predate the buyout

Vizio …

That’s news to me. Last I heard it was a US company with production in China. Anyway, things change quickly anymore these days.

Hey, our fault for not buying cars and buy a ton of SUVs and trucks. Now we are complaining the import from the places where people buy and build them...

I'm sure Ford will sell a whole bunch of IP to the Chinese at the right price, and if they don't, I'm sure GM, Chrysler, VW, Nissan, Mazda, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Denso, Aisin, Jatco, Continental, Delphi, Visteon, etc will.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Ford may not sell the complete Chinese-made car to North American customers, but I bet individual parts that a dealership sells would be manufactured in China.

They already have been for yeeeears. Denali badges. Ford wheels. Everything. Lol

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Corporations haven't learned. If folks here don't have jobs that pay well they can't buy their products so they can shift to the cheapest labour markets in the world and it's not going to make a lick of difference in the long run because they are taking money out of their own pockets by chasing what they think is higher profit margins by going off shore but forgetting who their customers are and that they no longer have the money to buy their stuff.

21.gif
When does the madness end?

You know....this is wishful thinking. But there are way more potential Ford customers overseas then in the US. There are approximately 7 billion (with a B) in SE Asia. What, we have 360 million?

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Ford and the other non-Chinese auto makers better be aware of what's going to happen when the Chinese government decided their auto industry can stand on its own and promptly seizes most of the foreigners' assets and continues to use their IP without any regards for its true ownership.
They are playing a different game than the Western world and everybody needs to be aware of that. And, yes, such actions are quite typical for any emerging economy (the fledgling USA did similar things to the mightily miffed Brits).

If this was to happen it would of happened by now.....take a trip to China and prepare to be amazed. It's a real eye opener.

Is there a good reason to do commerce with a country like China. Don't we put our seal of approval, at least to some degree, on their oppressive form of government? Are we funding their military which ultimately could come against us. Is the USA better after losing lots of manufacturing to China and like minded nations?

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
CLIFF NOTES:

Ford is killing production of all sedans.....

This is my interpretation as well. They are proverbially throwing all their non trucks and SUV's under the bus by either not making them, or moving production to third world countries and equipping them with "automatic" transmissions that are terrible.

Originally Posted By: Aichiguy
Is there a good reason to do commerce with a country like China. Don't we put our seal of approval, at least to some degree, on their oppressive form of government? Are we funding their military which ultimately could come against us. Is the USA better after losing lots of manufacturing to China and like minded nations?

Those who only care about dollar signs care nothing about any of this...

cruising around the net ,the car forums are full of talk about the "bloodbath" in sedan sales ,its all SUV/CUV tall cars, small vans .
Seems the market is abandoning cars ,we are aging and tall vehicles are simply easyer to access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back