Ford edege/flex/taurus/explorer PTU

So I have a 2014 Ford flex with a PTU. First time I changed the PTU (supposedly lifetime) fluid it let out all the magical slivery sparkles. It looked like oil got mixed with glitter. Changed it again recently and I did not see any glitter 10k miles later. Normally when you see a lot of glitter in these PTU units is it time to start saving up for a new PTU unit because now it is a matter of time?

Have a 3L 2014 4WD Escape with the PTU, original owner now at 160K, have changed the PTU fluid with 75-140 every 30K, no PTU issues to date. Have changed the transmission fluid every 10K(the 4 Qts you can extract) and still on the original transmission without issue as well.

It is crazy to think anything that holds less than a Qt of fluid, with no filter is "lifetime"

I have an '18 Edge with the AWD. Had the Ford dealer change the ptu fluid at 38K miles just to have it documented in case it craps out. This and the internal water pump on my 3.5 engine have me thinking I'll trade it by 50-60K and get a Toyonda.

Reactions: D60
Normally when you see a lot of glitter in these PTU units is it time to start saving up for a new PTU unit because now it is a matter of time?

grumpy-cat-no-5-300x194.jpg

I had service records that showed a tranny and ptu were replaced as a pair 8k prior to my service with factory ford units. Apperently the ptu blew up and broke holes in the transmission case.

So I changed the fluid when 8k later and it was a perfect amber color and had lots of glitter. Will be doing it again at an additional 10k.

Honestly you will be fine just changing it regualarly. Like 10/15k intervals.

I cannot get mine to clean up so I do mine every 5k. Mine had original fluid with 157k on it. it drained out like road tar.

It is a good sign that you see no further particles coming out on the second drain & fill. Your PTU has (premature) wear now but it could still last a long time if you continue to change the fluid every ~30K mi, or more often in a severe duty use. How many miles were on it when you (presumably for the first time ever?) changed the fluid?

If it drains out like tar, I'd only drive it 100 miles or so (less distance, the worse it was) then drain and fill again.

Do the fluid in the PTU on my mom's Fusion every 15K. Funny thing is the one in her Fusion has a drain and fill plug so its super easy to service. The ones behind the 4cyl never seem to have issues yet are the easiest to service.

Reactions: D60
Do the fluid in the PTU on my mom's Fusion every 15K. Funny thing is the one in her Fusion has a drain and fill plug so its super easy to service. The ones behind the 4cyl never seem to have issues yet are the easiest to service.
in V6 it sits on top of catalytic converter getting boiled to death

Change religiously. ****ty design but you are doing the right thing by changing it. The sad thing is that there are many dealers who will not change the PTU fluid because they insist that it is lifetime fluid and won't touch it. That's a crock of bull.

Change religiously. ****ty design but you are doing the right thing by changing it. The sad thing is that there are many dealers who will not change the PTU fluid because they insist that it is lifetime fluid and won't touch it. That's a crock of bull.
Is it?
"you changed my fluid and now the PTU blew up!!!! FIX IT BLAG BLAH BLAH BBB, LAWYER BLAH BLAH BLAH"

Back