Ford Delays Three-Row EV SUV to 2027, Next-Gen Electric Truck to 2026

They are delaying some models until the market matures and focusing on a more affordable EV. That makes more sense.

"Ford is reassessing plans for several future electric vehicles. The company today said that it is shifting focus from a new three-row EV SUV to a more affordable compact EV."

Ford has now confirmed that a "skunkworks" team led by former Tesla engineer Alan Clarke is creating a "smaller, low-cost, profitable, flexible EV platform." While Ford didn't specify what types of vehicles this will support, the company did say it is being designed for "multiple vehicles at high volumes."

A large part of Ford and GM is their truck business. Is an EV drivetrain appropriate? And making them extra expensive? In some use cases, perhaps. But I think the overall timing is not right for EV trucks.
One could also make the case against the Cybertruck as well; even worse.

In the US, pickup trucks are kings; they are always top sellers. Not so much in the rest of the world.

An extremely heavy EV doesn’t make any sense to me.

This would have been a 100% flop from Ford.

Smart move, they can continue to focus on what the vast majority of their customers actually want. They have a few EV's they can slowly add to the offerings in time, and continue to increase Hybrid sales. They seem to be doing very well with them.

Well, now we have 10 minute recharge times, and EV pickups with 400+ miles real world range. Once the two get together

A large part of Ford and GM is their truck business. Is an EV drivetrain appropriate? And making them extra expensive? In some use cases, perhaps. But I think the overall timing is not right for EV trucks.
One could also make the case against the Cybertruck as well; even worse.

In the US, pickup trucks are kings; they are always top sellers. Not so much in the rest of the world.
On the Cybertruck forums customers are complaining left and right about it breaking down right after delivery, along with several having battery packs replaced.

I would say it would be smarter to make a car in another segment. They already have an EV crossover and a truck.

They are delaying some models until the market matures and focusing on a more affordable EV. That makes more sense.

"Ford is reassessing plans for several future electric vehicles. The company today said that it is shifting focus from a new three-row EV SUV to a more affordable compact EV."

Ford has now confirmed that a "skunkworks" team led by former Tesla engineer Alan Clarke is creating a "smaller, low-cost, profitable, flexible EV platform." While Ford didn't specify what types of vehicles this will support, the company did say it is being designed for "multiple vehicles at high volumes."

That's a real bummer for me, I was hoping they would bring a 3 row SUV version of the Lightning for me to replace my Navigator with.

Back