Ford 8.8 differential oil

Hello guys, this is my first post and English is not my native language, but i will phrase this as good as i can.

I am in the process of Building my first race car, a 2002 Chevrolet camaro. I took the diff cover off the other day, and i am somewhat confused to what i should use regarding diff oil….

We Are talking about a Ford 8.8 rear axle, year unknown - with a welded differential (car has been used for drifting) and not to sure what to use?

Been reading that Ford recommended 80W90 mineral oil for ages, then switched to 75W140 fullt synth. Any tips what to use here?

Cheers from Norway!

A ford 8.8 in an Camaro, that's taking the Explorer swap to a whole new level - is an 8.8 in a Camaro actually a thing? We are positive it isn't a GM Corporate 10 bolt?

Anyhow I agree 75/140 synthetic in a racing application, with a welded diff all you're worried about is the ring and pinion and bearings...

Id stick a detroit locker of truetrac in it myself though...

Nearly impossible considering the setup of how they attach ...... find a WS6 or Z28 and get that.....if you already have a Ford 8.8 in there let's see how it was accomplished please

Very odd application.

As for the diff, the 8.8 Fords are fairly robust units, and because it's welded (essentially a "spool"), then all you care about is lubrication of the gears and bearings. That in mind, I assume you're drag racing this vehicle, because no one would road race a spool.

The high shock loads of drag racing would lead me to want a 140grade GL5. I presume that you're interested in some manner of longevity of the axle, and so the ever slight power loss associated with the thicker lube will be offset by (hopefully) a longer lifespan. Racing teams with very deep pockets and high-dollar sponsors often run thin lubes so they attain every last fraction of HP available. But presuming you're a hobby-racer, I'd say that's a rabbit hole you don't want to go down.

Very odd application.

As for the diff, the 8.8 Fords are fairly robust units, and because it's welded (essentially a "spool"), then all you care about is lubrication of the gears and bearings. That in mind, I assume you're drag racing this vehicle, because no one would road race a spool.

The high shock loads of drag racing would lead me to want a 140grade GL5. I presume that you're interested in some manner of longevity of the axle, and so the ever slight power loss associated with the thicker lube will be offset by (hopefully) a longer lifespan. Racing teams with very deep pockets and high-dollar sponsors often run thin lubes so they attain every last fraction of HP available. But presuming you're a hobby-racer, I'd say that's a rabbit hole you don't want to go down.
Thank you for the answer, yes very weird indeed… the car started in camaro cup, then went on to a rebuild for drifting in sweden. You Are right about Building it for dragrace.

I will opt for a 75W140 then… a local dealer sells both motul & royal purple, which should be suitable

Nearly impossible considering the setup of how they attach ...... find a WS6 or Z28 and get that.....if you already have a Ford 8.8 in there let's see how it was accomplished p

As Stated by another, weld is the keyword here

A ford 8.8 in an Camaro, that's taking the Explorer swap to a whole new level - is an 8.8 in a Camaro actually a thing? We are positive it isn't a GM Corporate 10 bolt?

Anyhow I agree 75/140 synthetic in a racing application, with a welded diff all you're worried about is the ring and pinion and bearings...

Id stick a detroit locker of truetrac in it myself though...

As i am not an Expert on American cars at all, i will not say 100% sure. But i had my engine builder look at it the other day, and he said it was. He has worked with/built dragrace cars (exclusively American) for the last 25 years.

If anyone is interested in confirming what it is, i will happily take som pictures the next time i am in the garage

Very odd application.

Welded rear ends are/can be used in circle track racing with tire stagger. This is used in place of a mini spool or locking style rearend.

Just my $0.02

The 8.8 is not fussy. I have seen 75w-85 ford spec upwards to 75w-140.

I see you have two 98-02 panthers - some of my favorite cars!
Very odd application.

If you go on panther facebook groups / pages, people complain about how terrible the 8.8 is. Ford put these in 3/4 ton trucks in the 80s, E-series vans until the mid 00s and I know people running 8.8s in rock buggies with 5.xx gears and they don't have a problem. If you have it bouncing with 37'' tires and 5.38 gears and nothing breaks, it's good. I doubt someone's 200hp 4.6 is going to kill one 🤣

Ford 9 and 8.8 rear ends are fairly common swaps for the 4th gen Fbodies. The small stock 10 bolt is about the worst choice GM could have made for these cars and lots of manual transmissions have snapped them with a hard launch on street tires. It was always a concern for me while I still ran the 10 bolt in my 94 Z28. Replaced it with a Strange S60 a long time ago, its a bit more expensive than a 12 bolt or ford 9/8.8 rear ends but its great for the track.

Anyways, I'd probably run 75w140 for what you are doing, but the 8.8 isn't picky and would run fine with anything from 75w90 to 75w140.

I run 75w80 in my 8.8 drag car/street car. 800 HP, 3800 lbs. Specifically, Valvoline full synthetic in the bag. Only add enough friction modifier to not chatter on turns....usually no more than 1/2 a bottle.

If it's a dedicated drag car with a spool, redline shock proof might be a good option.

Thanks for a lot of useful input! I went with liqui moly 75W140. REALLY expensive at 65$ pr.quart/liter. Will change it after a drag weekend and see how it is holding up…. I got some 75W90 Synthetic lying around, but will wait and see.

Back