Ford 1.5 TCDI engine Euro 4 to Euro 6. 2.8 L increase in sump capacity?

India recently went from BS 4 to BS 6. Almost the same fuel specifications as Euro 4 to Euro 6. On the 1.5 TCDI diesel engine that Ford uses in India, Ford went from 3.5L of engine oil in the BS 4 to 6.2 L on the BS 6 variant. The engine is the Ford DV5 which is an under bored version of the Ford-PSA - DLD-416 to meet India's tax system that makes it cheaper to manufacture cars with 1.5L engines The BS4 engine did not have a DPF. The BS6 engine I believe DPF and a lean NOx trap. BS 4 diesel was 50 ppm sulfur BS 6 diesel is 10 ppm sulfur BS4 engine's oil requirement is 5w-30 meeting - WSS-M2C913-D or 5w20 meeting WSS-M2C948-B BS6 engine's oil requirement is 0W-30 meeting WSS-M2C950-A. Recommended OCI remained the same at 10000 KM or 6200 Miles Any theories on why Ford went from 3.5L of oil to 6.2L of oil? Thanks.

Last edited:
I would suspect they felt 3.5 liters was not enough to get the oil cooling they desired, specially since this was a specific engine designed for use in India, with higher ambient temperatures than Central Europe. Chevrolet changed the oil capacity for their LS V-8 gas engines to 8 liters from 6 liters when they did a redesign in 2014, probably for additional cooling as well.

Last edited:
Snagglefoot, The engine has been made and sold in India since 2012. The sump capacity was changed only recently i.e with the change from BS 4 to BS 6