For those who do a full detail twice/year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wash, clay-bar, polish, glaze, sealant wax, UV wax - a 3 1/2 - 4 hour process. The engine compartment takes an added 30 minutes.

The dual action polisher here is used for steps 3,4, and 5...and saves about an hour.

Use Meguiars products for the first 5 steps, including Ultimate Liquid sealant wax. Chemical Guys' Blazin' Banana spray wax with UV protection is used on top. Love these products.

After 3 semi-annual full DIY details...things are still looking tip-top - I love to watch the water roll off in the rain too.

050519 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Spring Detail.jpg

072818 Engine Detailing 1.jpg

Originally Posted by HYUNDAIFAN0001
For those who do a full detail twice/year

I'd rather use NuFinish and do it once a year.

OP, you did an awesome job!

I'm about to embark on a similar exercise on my '12 Optima SX with Chemical Guys products + Meguiars HCW to top it off.

Being a bit OCD, I suspect it will take me quite a bit longer.

Ah, normal sized cars, how I fondly remember the easy days of detailing those.....

Now, I have dreadnaught class vehicles, an Expedition and a F150. Instead of reaching across the roof in one or two swipes, I have ladders. Miles of sheet metal and acres of glass. And I'm getting older. The water where I live is so hard it's spits gravel. No prerinsing the car, do each panel, then dry it to stop water spot stains.

I am considering getting a water de-ionizer though just to be able to slow down the pace and enjoy washing ‘ol Betsy. I swear, if I live to see 75, I'm getting a sedan.

Wash, clay-bar, polish, glaze, sealant wax, UV wax - a 3 1/2 - 4 hour process. The engine compartment takes an added 30 minutes.

The dual action polisher here is used for steps 3,4, and 5...and saves about an hour.

Use Meguiars products for the first 5 steps, including Ultimate Liquid sealant wax. Chemical Guys' Blazin' Banana spray wax with UV protection is used on top. Love these products.

After 3 semi-annual full DIY details...things are still looking tip-top - I love to watch the water roll off in the rain too.

Looks fantastic! After I drive to the moon(distance in miles) I plan to wash,decontamination spray,wash,polish and wax. Been using the Wizards Spray Shine as topcoat. Again, nice job.

Thank you to all for the very nice comments.

Of course photos don't even do the results real justice. The SUV in my photo has a pearl white finish...which "sparkles" in sunlight. In addition, the surface is incredibly smooth to the touch, with any surface swirl marks removed during the polishing phase of the "6-step" process.

The motivation to share is to pay forward the great advice found on this site, as well as some local "car show participants", who were kind enough to let me in on a few tips as to how they key their classic Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Jaguars, Lotus, and other amazing show cars seen here locally every 3 months. The vehicles at the show range in the $100K - $400K value range, so asking them individually how they maintain the beautiful look on their treasures was informative.

Surprisingly (at least to some), about 2/3 of the 40 or so owners detail their own cars (on average about every 3 months). The other 1/3 either pay a service to do it, or else have a family member or friend do it for them. Regardless...they all prove that the time & effort investment results in keeping these gems in wonderful condition literally for decades.

Casually spending a Saturday or Sunday afternoon once in the Spring and another in the Fall can be a "labor of love" when you see the results. Given the right tools and detailing products, it almost doesn't seem like work.

The Porter Cable 6-inch dual action polisher makes the polishing, glaze, and sealant wax steps much faster and more important...gets the best results in those steps without the contrasting effort required to do it all by hand. The $150 investment for the polisher and a good set of appropriate pads has proven well worth it. So far, I've used it 3 times on the SUV, and twice on my wife's car. Her 6-year-old car looks like new (if not better).

Over the years, I've tried numerous products...many of which have various thread reviews on this site. There are a number of good products available, but I've seen outstanding results from the Meguiar's line. I've also pleasantly found several select products from Chemical Guys (such as their polishing pads, wash products, and finishing UV spray waxes) to render excellent results.

Here are just a couple more quick pix...including the SUV and my wife's 2013 Honda detailed as well.

May you also enjoy the "labor of love" and the results from your own detailing effort.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice job. If this rainy weather pattern would ever break for more than a day I'd do my Jeeps. Maybe tomorrow.

Excellent job. Your cars look brand new. I do mine when I can but it takes me much longer. I work very slowly and admire each panel while I work. I bought a Porter Cable DA last year and it's awesome. Should make work much faster now. Thanks for sharing. I always love seeing everyone's method, products, and end results.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Nice job. If this rainy weather pattern would ever break for more than a day I'd do my Jeeps. Maybe tomorrow.

Great - go for it!

Originally Posted by ssamaroo01
Excellent job. Your cars look brand new. I do mine when I can but it takes me much longer. I work very slowly and admire each panel while I work. I bought a Porter Cable DA last year and it's awesome. Should make work much faster now. Thanks for sharing. I always love seeing everyone's method, products, and end results.

The Porter will definitely cut some time out of the process...and with good pads...you'll maximize the results using the polish, glaze, and/or sealant wax products. Doing a good wash and clay bar first is the foundation for everything else.

I did forget to mention one thing...

I use the polish and sealant wax on the front and back light covers. Also the UV spray wax. That's how the 2013 Honda headlamps look crystal clear instead of any remote signs of yellow.

Happy detailing!

030418 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 20T Ultimate 9D.jpg

030418 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 20T Ultimate 9E.jpg

Why a glaze after a machine polish prior to sealant? To me the sealant should be applied directly to the polished/alcohol wiped surface for durability/bonding.

I'm not knocking just curious. It does look very nice and you accomplished it in record time.

Originally Posted by RTexasF
Why a glaze after a machine polish prior to sealant? To me the sealant should be applied directly to the polished/alcohol wiped surface for durability/bonding.

I'm not knocking just curious. It does look very nice and you accomplished it in record time.

The glaze is purely cosmetic to add to the finished "wet" look after polishing - it's likely optional to most folks. That tip came from the car show folks.

The glaze is much more noticeable on a darker color such as red or black, and only puts a very thin layer prior to the sealant. Since it is a very thin layer...it will adhere either way and not impede what is put on top of it. I use Meguiar's #7 glaze.

Here's a page that reaffirms how to use glaze:

When/How to use Glaze

Originally Posted by Warstud

I hate to break the news to you, but Nufinish doesn't last that long...

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by Warstud

I hate to break the news to you, but Nufinish doesn't last that long...

Unfortunately it seems the orange sludge bottle trolls have to show up in any thread they can pollute with their false claims and propaganda. We'll just ignore that nonsense.

Got the 2013 Honda Accord done this weekend too.

We love the fact that the headlight lens covers remain crystal clear (from the proper sealant and UV spray treatments twice a year) and the surface is still as smooth as glass on this 6-year-old car.

[Linked Image]

Anyone can get these kinds of results with an afternoon of commitment 2 times per year.

Originally Posted by RTexasF

The glaze is purely cosmetic to add to the finished "wet" look after polishing - it's likely optional to most folks. That tip came from the car show folks.

The glaze is much more noticeable on a darker color such as red or black, and only puts a very thin layer prior to the sealant. Since it is a very thin layer...it will adhere either way and not impede what is put on top of it. I use Meguiar's #7 glaze.

Here's a page that reaffirms how to use glaze:

When/How to use Glaze

Having detailed for a living I am familiar with glazes and their purpose but related their use to strictly show cars. I had not seen them used on daily drivers prior to a sealant.. Judging by your cars it is a worthy additional step. Thanks.

When I detailed a glaze was also something a body shop used to hide their holograms and poor machine polishing techniques. Glazes used in that manner were frowned upon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back