For All You Southern Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doubleclutch
Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, milk gravy, and made from scratch biscuits

Nothing better than that...Man Im STARVIN!!! Send some plz!!!
20.gif

My wife is from dallas and her family sends us fresh okra a few times a year. I love fried okra but had never tried it before being in texas. Which is really funny because there are so many foodies in portland but I think they just snub their noises at southern food. They are missing out though, I love to bread the okra lin corn meal and sprinkle with johnnys seasoning salt when it comes out. I think its funny that we dont have okra but they dont have johnnys seasoning salt so when you eat it not many have tried the combination before.

If you want "Southern" food, just go to a "soulfood" restaurant. Anyone from a halfway rural part of the South was probably raised on that stuff and never knew it was "soulfood."

What I like is the way some restaurants interpret Cajun food. A year ago I was in Columbus (Ohio) and I swear, every single restaurant I went to had a "Cajun" dish that had two distinct components: a.)it was blackened b.)it had pepperjack cheese.
crazy2.gif

Truthfully, everything is so generic these days, you often forget you're in the South, or even in Louisiana. But then, there are the little reminders. Like the time about 3 years ago when I walked into the kitchen at my old office and saw my boss and the receptionist holding a butcher knife and arguing over how much of a frozen raccoon each was going to take home...
LOL.gif

That's hilarious!!! Get your hands off my 'coon!

Funny as heck about "Cajun" food....in the Bellingham WA Mall food court...."Cajun" food joint run by Thai/Chinese girls. Not even close. But nothing blackened or with pepperjack cheese. They did not appreciate me telling them that their food is distinctly not Cajun.

My old boss was also big on boiled peanuts and kept a sweet potato and green patch as well. He also cooked nonstop during the work day. I miss hearing him cussing and running down the hall as the smoke alarm screamed. But both my fed jobs have been in rural locales. There's a restaurant down the road here from my new office that makes a cornbread sanwich. I've been wanting to try it.

http://www.kittskornbread.com/blank.html

I grew up on the Gulf Coast. Just came back from a vacation with family. I love it there and love the food. A good friend of the family supplies seafood to restaurants there and I'm expecting 3 gallons of "real" gumbo and crab claws in the mail. There's nothing like Southern food in CA even the so called seafood restaurants. I also lived in New Orleans for a bunch of years and the food is the only reason I would ever go back.

Born, raised, and still living in Louisiana, I'd never trade our food in for Northerner's food.
Just couldn't do it. New England Clam Chowder? NEVER!

I'll keep my red beans & rice, seafood gumbo, jamabalaya, fried okra, fried corn, boiled peanuts, boiled crawfish, boiled crabs, etc.
Last night at our church's mens meeting we fried 40lbs of speckled trout, onion rings, crinkle cut fries, and even fried the bread (small round Pistolettes). OUTSTANDING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back