Food grade grease?

I need to lube the zerks in a neglected dough sheeter at a local bakery. I was looking at Super Lube from Amazon, NSF H1 and kosher, but it’s I believe PAO base thickened with Teflon. The other choice is Loctite LB 8034 Viper Lube. Also PAO based with a calcium sulfonate thickener - so there’s some EP as well. Which one should I go with?

We use 8034 Viper Lube on our printing presses at work. We don't produce food packaging but this grease is used a lot in the printing industry as a food safe product. It's good grease.

I need to lube the zerks in a neglected dough sheeter at a local bakery. I was looking at Super Lube from Amazon, NSF H1 and kosher, but it’s I believe PAO base thickened with Teflon. The other choice is Loctite LB 8034 Viper Lube. Also PAO based with a calcium sulfonate thickener - so there’s some EP as well. Which one should I go with?
Amsoil Food Grade Grease

Any of the mentioned greases would work just fine for a dough sheeter. I'd use whatever is easiest for you to aquire and make sure to get a new grease gun only for food safe usage.
If you are going to leave it with the customer I'd recommend a controlled use gun. Pricy but they can't put the wrong grease in it.

Be careful ordering from Amazon though. I've gotten grease from them before that were not good. Last time I bought some polyrex em it was green and the wrong consistency. Probably wouldn't have know if I wasn't familiar with it.

The first question to answer is what are you using now. You want to make sure the grease you choose does not have a compatiblity issue with what you have. What did the OEM recommend. Are you using something different? If so why? Make sure your thickener is compatible and the base oil viscosity is correct. Then…… you can choose the correct grease based on what people are sending you for offerings.

If you need additional help you are welcome to PM me.

David

A number of food grade greases are also aluminum complex greases. Especially used in higher heat environments.

I would do a quick lubricant survey on this equipment.

1. Since we’re talking food grade - is it an H1 or H3 application? If so, keep that in mind when selecting a product. Since you’re talking about a zerk fitting, I’m guessing H1. But, that is up to you to determine.

2. What product was in it last?

3. What temperature range do you need for the grease?

4. What is your maintenance schedule?

Lubriplate offers several food grade grease options. Clarion also offers good options.

My go to recommendation for this application would be:

Clarion Food Machinery HT EP 2. Aluminum complex grease:

Product data sheet: http://docs.clarionlubricants.com/msds_pi/CL10103.pdf

Or Lubriplate FGL-2

Both products have a #1 as well, If the speed is higher, or the machine dictates it for whatever reason.

If you’re looking specifically for a synthetic, lubriplate also has synthetic options, with the SFL line:

If the machines are of European manufacturers, or you’re looking for something very high heat resistant, you could look into Klueber Barrierta L 55/2. This is a more specialized PFPE based grease.

However, I would check the above. Make sure this is not an H3 application first off. Then what product was previously in it. What the machine recommends grease wise - #1 vs #2, temp range, etc. then decide on your maintenance schedule.

Clarion and Lubriplate also offer ISO100 greases. Lubriplate has a line of calcium greases, that are H1 as well.

That will help narrow your greases down. Food grade does get a bit complicated.

Last edited:
All food processing equipment where there is the possibility of incidental contact of the lubricant with food requires NSF H1 lubricants. This includes grease, gear oils, oils for chain drives, etc. Dough sheeting machines are included in this type of equipment. Where there is the possibility direct contact with food an NSF 3H. An example of a baking machine that would require a 3H product is a dough divider.

1662120738618.jpg
Try this grease.:ROFLMAO:

We use Jax brand grease in the bakery that I'm a maintenance tech at. I'll have to take a pic of the product. It's used in everything from the mixers (bundy and peerless) the vemag divider, sheeter, the bun coolers, everything.

Well this bakery has been family owned for 110 years. They were offered $600 million once and they turned them (whomever it was) down.

This place isn’t going anywhere

We use Jax brand grease in the bakery that I'm a maintenance tech at. I'll have to take a pic of the product. It's used in everything from the mixers (bundy and peerless) the vemag divider, sheeter, the bun coolers, everything.
Actually I was wrong, talked to mechanic at work today, non food grade grease is Mobil. Food grade grease is Lubriplate

They are converting all grease over to food grade

Back