flush gone bad in 4l60e

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 98 chevy Z71 has a newer style deep pan with drainplug on it. I bought it a few years ago to replace the factory deep pan with no drainplug.

Draining and replacing the filter usually has me replaceing approx. 5 qrts.

A drain and refill with no filter change, replaces about 3qrts.

According to my Factory Helms manual, a complete dry refill needs 11 qrts.

I drain and refill my tranny fluid every other oil change so I always have fresh fluid in it.

Wayne

haha over filled...i always over fill mine, usually i check it before i put the radiator hose back on....then if its over, i turn on the car and then let some drain and then turn it off and fill to level.

though last time i had hecka air in the system, splashed everywhere....o well i think it was because i opened my transmission silinoids.

practice makes perfect, haha the first time i ran it dry and i didnt know!

Steeltoe,

Have you had to do a valve body update on that '97 4L60E? If the check engine light comes on with an 1870 code and it starts to shift hard between 1st and 2nd when hot (after a 10 mile run on the freeway), then you are ripe for the update.

Just do a search on Google for "4L60E 1870". 1997 was a particularly prone year for this problem. Good news is that that are at least a half dozen companies that make the valve body updates. You can DIY for < $40 or have a shop do it for about $150. You may even want to talk to you tranny shop about doing it now.

My son's 1997 Blazer withthe 4L60E made it to 105K miles. Not trying to give doom and gloom, just helping you be prepared. The good news is that it is a fairly cheap fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back