Flood in death valley.

Death valley gets about 1.9 inches of rain per year. The area got about 1.5 inches yesterday which resulted is severe flooding.

A flood came through the parking lot at the very expensive death valley inn and pushed cars around.

It does not take much, about 5 years ago I was driving from Death Valley to Vegas when it started to rain. It came down in buckets for about an hour and the desert outside of Vegas looked like a lake and the water came up to the road bed. It was a strange feeling driving across a lake in the middle of a desert.

The desert southwest doesn't have the storm sewer system to handle much rain all at once. 1.5 inches is no big deal in most parts. I got one inch in 10 minutes yesterday, no big deal except for water running along the road curbs.

Couldn't see your story. LA Times wants $$$ to view.

Desert soil is for the most part, very hard and rocky. It doesn't absorb water quickly. Most rain runs off..... Until it has nowhere to run to. Then it starts building up quickly. Flash floods are usually the result.

That same rain would disappear very quickly here cause grass and soft soil would absorb it.

I thought the desert meant sand?
In a few small certain parts. But the vast majority of desert is a hard rocky, gravel like crust that doesn't absorb much water. Ideally for a good rain to do a desert any good, it has to come in a nice slow drizzle that will slowly soften, then absorb the water over time.

The problem is the deserts rarely, if ever get that type of rain. Most of the rain comes in the form of violent Monsoon thunderstorms that drop large amounts of water rapidly in just a few minutes or hours. That just runs off into the washes, and is carried away.... Along with cars, people, and whatever else is in the way of them.

The desert southwest doesn't have the storm sewer system to handle much rain all at once. 1.5 inches is no big deal in most parts. I got one inch in 10 minutes yesterday, no big deal except for water running along the road curbs.

Archive.is

I was in Death Valley for the "superbloom" in spring 2005, after a winter rain/flood event like that. In the first photo, about halfway up, you can see a (then) dry wash coming from a side canyon. I think the canyon is where some of the Sand People scenes were filmed in Star Wars.

valley:flowers.jpg

sf camp3.jpg

flowers tfoot.jpg

tent1.jpg

Living in the desert is amazing. We moved here 11 years ago from rainy western Washington. So a few desert myths to deal with: The desert is neither flat no sandy. I am at 3,500 feet and look out my window at the Hualapai Mountains only ten miles away. They are 8,700 or so feet high. There are sand dunes in the desert, but not a lot.

Desert soil is mostly kitty little over very hard "dirt" often referred to as caliche. In other places, lots and lots of rock. We are definitely not in the flatlands.

Rain does soak in slowly, but when you get an inch in half an hour, it is not going to soak in anywhere. When it comes down hard in the hills and mountains is when you get flash floods. It might not rain at all where you are but a wall of water can still come down a wash because it rained hard in the mountains not far away. In 1997 eleven people died in Antelope Canyon died when a flash flood generated 15 miles away swept them away. Only the guide survived and the flood ripped off all of his clothes. And, flash floods do not have to be ten feet high to kill. A foot of water coming down a wash can and has killed the stupid and the inattentive.

The desert is loaded with wildlife. Quail are everywhere, as are rabbits. You might see rattlesnakes, big lizards, Gila Monsters, coyotes, foxes, burros, deer, bighorn sheep, antelope, wild horses, etc. Rattlesnakes are not everywhere and not usually found around people. We saw on last Saturday coiled in the middle of the dirt road we were on. We got out, took his picture, listened to how annoyed he was and then left him alone. I do not bother rattlesnakes in the wild, but it is the death penalty to be found around a house.

Death Valley gets very little rain, but it can rain hard in the mountains without any rain falling in the valley, or very little rain. That is where the floods come from. They move a LOT of dirt and rocks. Which is why the snow plows can keep working year round here in Kingman.

Try this. Give you an idea as to what happened.

Back