Flat spot? Or something else?

Every day when I first start and drive my car I gown down the hill from my house which is 400 yards, then up the hill which is another 400 yards and when I'm driving I feel a slight juddering like the feeling of driving on asphalt that has a washboard sort of ripple to it. But after I've driven the car a very short distance I don't notice it. I've even driven the hill after my car has been driven a bit and don't notice that what I described. Could this it be due to flat spots on the tires from sitting overnight or could it be bad plugs or wires or full filter or something mechanically instead of the tires.

Ok. Interesting. So here is another tidbit. These tires are the Bridgestone weatherpeaks. So they are all season, but have a super soft tread compound. Not quite a winter only tire bit compared to other all season tires it's close. Do those type of tires tend to flat spot more easily over night due to a softer tread?

What tire pressure are you using? Try an experiment and set them to like 38-40psi and see if the symptoms lesson or go away.

Cold PSI recondition on the door is 30. I always run my tires 2-3 lbs above what recommended.

Cold PSI recondition on the door is 30. I always run my tires 2-3 lbs above what recommended.

This totally sounds like a temperature induced flatspot.

Long Version: Barry's Tire Tech: Flatspotting

Short Version: The cause is the nylon in the tire. Check your sidewall. Nylon appears in all kinds of tires. The nylon flatspots because of the glass transition temperature of nylon is at the extreme of the range of tire temperatures. But they use nylon because it has the property of shrinking when heated, so tire manufacturers have figured out how to reduce the risk of flatspots developing, but those things don't work 100% of the time.

So try a few more psi and see if you can get rid of it.

Back