First Tesla purchase turning sour.

I don't believe for one minute that the batteries are good for 20 years or 500K, more fantasy stuff, its a bunch of 18650 cell batteries for cripes sake. Even if it charges 11 years is a long time for any battery.
How do know this?

The problem with buying an old electric car is, its battery is old in age and represents older technology. When it wears out and should be replaced, the cost of replacement may exceed the value of the old car.
Batteries degrade over time and can accept less charge and thus have a reduced range. Everybody buying used understands that. If a new EV can go 300 miles on a charge, it may only go 250 miles after 10 years, 200 miles after 15 years, 150 miles after 20 years. That's why they cost less used.

Batteries degrade over time and can accept less charge and thus have a reduced range. Everybody buying used understands that. If a new EV can go 300 miles on a charge, it may only go 250 miles after 10 years, 200 miles after 15 years, 150 miles after 20 years. That's why they cost less used.
True, but a 20 year old car, even one with a brand new replacement battery, is still a 20 year old car. The car's suspension, interior, steering, etc also wears with age and mileage. A new battery in an old car would still be an old car.

True, but a 20 year old car, even one with a brand new replacement battery, is still a 20 year old car. The car's suspension, interior, steering, etc also wears with age and mileage. A new battery in an old car would still be an old car.
Of course, that's why a 20 year old car is $5,000, not $50,000. And people here seem to have no problem with a brand new replacement engine or transmission on a 20 year old car.

Bought a nice looking 2013 Model S with 140,000 miles today for a seemingly reasonable price. It was sold with an auction guaranty to be free of major defects. I go to test drive it and its in a reduced power mode and there are messages to get it charged immediately. I'm able to limp it to the charger at the auction going 5 mph. Of course they are occupied and it's after 3 pm now. You have until 5 pm to submit a claim, but it will be a few hours before it's charged up enough so I can even take it for a drive. I was able to convince a manager of the issue, that I can't even drive it, and she said that after it's charged in the morning, they will check it out and go from there.

Ideally, the seller brought the car there without enough charge, and all it needs is recharging and then it will show there is no problem. I can't fathom anyone bringing a car in like that. My pessimistic thoughts say there is something wrong with the battery or electronics on the car. What's the track record of these early Teslas? I have always read on the internet that the batteries are good for at least 20 years or more and the car should be able to go over 500,000 miles on the original battery. Any actual Tesla owners here with insight?
That sucks, keep us updated.

Bought a nice looking 2013 Model S with 140,000 miles today for a seemingly reasonable price. It was sold with an auction guaranty to be free of major defects. I go to test drive it and its in a reduced power mode and there are messages to get it charged immediately. I'm able to limp it to the charger at the auction going 5 mph. Of course they are occupied and it's after 3 pm now. You have until 5 pm to submit a claim, but it will be a few hours before it's charged up enough so I can even take it for a drive. I was able to convince a manager of the issue, that I can't even drive it, and she said that after it's charged in the morning, they will check it out and go from there.

Ideally, the seller brought the car there without enough charge, and all it needs is recharging and then it will show there is no problem. I can't fathom anyone bringing a car in like that. My pessimistic thoughts say there is something wrong with the battery or electronics on the car. What's the track record of these early Teslas? I have always read on the internet that the batteries are good for at least 20 years or more and the car should be able to go over 500,000 miles on the original battery. Any actual Tesla owners here with insight?
I do hope it works for you. A friend has one of these old Tesla as “beater” EV and works with limited/shortened range (less then original) in a very good place to own one Quebec. He is DIY and seems to be able to repair it.

Of course, that's why a 20 year old car is $5,000, not $50,000. And people here seem to have no problem with a brand new replacement engine or transmission on a 20 year old car.
There are a lot of 20 year old cars and older doing just fine on the original engine and transmissions, I'd venture to say millions. The jury is still out on the EV. A thing often forgotten by people here is EV's have motors too, with a finite lifetime. EV motors aren't cheap either, but often forgotten and overshadowed by discussions about battery life. ICE longevity statistics are in, the EV still has a very long way to go to prove itself imo.

There are a lot of 20 year old cars and older doing just fine on the original engine and transmissions, I'd venture to say millions. The jury is still out on the EV. A thing often forgotten by people here is EV's have motors too, with a finite lifetime. EV motors aren't cheap either, but often forgotten and overshadowed by discussions about battery life. ICE longevity statistics are in, the EV still has a very long way to go to prove itself imo.
There is no long term data as data set is too small on EV to make anything meaningful to prove or disprove itself. It is rapidly evolving in tech and using data from old EV to a brand is similar to comparing a modern F150 to one 11 years ago.

The reality is average car life is 12 years/200000 miles now. 20 years is outlier . It appears this Tesla met the mark as it still is working with undiagnosed issue (all cars have issues) .

There is no long term data as data set is too small on EV to make anything meaningful to prove or disprove itself. It is rapidly evolving in tech and using data from old EV to a brand is similar to comparing a modern F150 to one 11 years ago.

The reality is average car life is 12 years/200000 miles now. 20 years is outlier .
You made my point. We can revisit this topic when there is more EV data, and millions more EVs that have proven themselves over the long term. Regarding an 11 year old F150, there are plenty of them 20 or more years old doing just fine, and none of them can compare to a new one. The EV has a long way to go to prove itself. Where we might agree is ICE and EV tech is constantly improving, each improvement has to prove itself though. Which is always the case. The only problem with ICE is it's in the crosshairs unfortunately, so improvements might slowdown a bit.

I don't believe for one minute that the batteries are good for 20 years or 500K, more fantasy stuff, its a bunch of 18650 cell batteries for cripes sake. Even if it charges 11 years is a long time for any battery.
I have eight 18650s that are now 20-22 years old, and heavily abused. They work well, still. I am sending 2 off for detailed analysis later this week.

You made my point. We can revisit this topic when there is more EV data, and millions more EVs that have proven themselves over the long term. Regarding an 11 year old F150, there are plenty of them 20 or more years old doing just fine, and none of them can compare to a new one. The EV has a long way to go to prove itself. Where we might agree is ICE and EV tech is constantly improving, each improvement has to prove itself though. Which is always the case. The only problem with ICE is it's in the crosshairs unfortunately, so improvements might slowdown a bit.
The data on a 11 year old F150 is irrelevant to a modern one with a major tech change with eco boost, electronics and touch screens etc.

The pool of 2024 20 year old vehicles is going to be substantially smaller than 2013s hitting 20 years.

The data on a 11 year old F150 is irrelevant to a modern one with a major tech change with eco boost, electronics and touch screens etc.

The pool of 2024 20 year old vehicles is going to be substantially smaller than 2013s hitting 20 years.
I'm talking ICE vs EV longevity, you seem to be cherry picking, go back to what I first wrote. Try this, pick any of the millions of 11 year old vehicles still on the road you want, then compare them to EV's the same age. My point is very simple, the EV has yet to prove itself. There aren't enough of them around long enough, so all you can do is speculate. We can revisit this when you have your data.

Back