First impressions of Goodyear Comforttred not good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bourne
V is generally a softer compound. Hence you have a 70k warranty as opposed to 80k on H rated or below.

You're thinking of rubber compounds. Ride is determined more by sidewall stiffness, and V-rated typically have stiffer sidewalls than H.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Originally Posted By: bourne
V is generally a softer compound. Hence you have a 70k warranty as opposed to 80k on H rated or below.

You're thinking of rubber compounds. Ride is determined more by sidewall stiffness, and V-rated typically have stiffer sidewalls than H.

Yup. Except comfortreds have a double apex sidewall. Outer "softer than normal" comfort sidewall/apex , Inner stiffer sidewall/apex. The transition between the two can be felt if you pay close attention during turns when you drive.

I suggest you go to Consumer Reports online if you cannot get the hard copy. CR has the best/most comprehensive tire testing procedure .... IMO better than tirerack.com ... especially on treadwear rating. CR's ratings also tend to give consistent results with the tirerack USER reviews .... vs tirerack's own test results .... (at least on Toyota vehicles.)

They rate the tires based on performance (braking, handling, hydoplaning, traction, ride, noise, rolling resistence, tread life, etc.) without regard to price .... but the "recommended" checkmark only goes to products with a decent price/value relationship.

Page 60 & 61 of Nov 2012 issue of CR show the only two recommended tires in either class out of 20 tires in each class:

H rated:
Primacy MXV4 [UTQG 620] #1 (recommended)
Continental PureContact (#2) (recommended)

V rated:
#1) Continental PureConact (recommended)
#2) Pirelli P7 Cinturato (not recommended - high price/low tread life)
#3) Primacy MXV4 [UTQG 500] (recommended) [Best tread life of V rated]

Last edited:
Going back this afternoon to swap out the ComfortTreds for the V rated Primacy's.

I have noticed over the past day or so that the GY's are..well, maybe breaking in. The ride has gotten a bit better with a few more miles on them (I did about 250 miles yesterday). Still has some wheel shake around 75-80 but not as bad as when I first got them

As I said before the GY's took a bit of weight to balance. The fronts have a decent sized weight on them. The rears only look they needs a small weight until you look at the inside of the tire and see a couple of weights needed as well.

The GY's may actually end up being a decent tire but my gut feeling is that the Primacy's will end up being the better choice in the end. Hard to find to may negative reviews especially with Accord owners where the Goodyears are spotty hit or miss reviews

Hope I'm right or this will be a oh ^%$# moment lol

Goose

Blue_Goose,
What speed rating for the G/Y ACT's are you using??
Are you ACT's the TOURING??

Yeah, my G/Y ACT's took a couple of week to break-in. Because at first, I didn't see the BIG DEAL with this 20% better riding claim. Then they were OK! But, I only have the "T" speed rating "STANDARD" models, when they first came to the market a couple of years before the "TOURING" models hit the market.

Last edited:
Yes, the are the new Touring V rated model. Like I said they feel actually a bit better than a few days ago...not sure if they know they are about to be replaced so they are getting their act together lol. They handle pretty well for a touring tire, I can really dive into corners and they stick.

Tread Depot has the MXV4 Primacy's for 568 shipped so this swap should cost me about 60 bucks or so. That is providing Sullivan Tire honors that price

Goose

One would never know that I am not a fan of G/Y since I have been purchacing their tires(on/off) for ~40 years. But, I keep giving them another chance.

It's always something, that I don't like about G/Y tires during my ownership of many sets(4)tires. Issues such as:

*Broken Belts

*Radial Pull

*Uneven wear between the the set(even with proper allignment and tire balance).

*Too much money for their particular quality. Too often the G/Y tires that I have purchaced, treated me as though the G/Y were a private label tire.

*Fast Wearing

*I have actually had better private label tire than some G/Y's.

Not long ago, I had G/Y tires on 5 vehicles at the same time. Each set(4) tires being a different model of G/Y tires.

Eagle LS/GA, Integrity, Regatta & Eagle GT(2 cars)...They all sucked and I said, "I'll never buy G/Y again"!---Then I went out and bought the G/Y ACT's. They've probably been the best G/Y tire(s) that I have ever owned and, they're only OK!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
..............As I said before the GY's took a bit of weight to balance. The fronts have a decent sized weight on them. The rears only look they needs a small weight until you look at the inside of the tire and see a couple of weights needed as well............

The new lead free weights are larger than the older lead weights.

Got the Primacy's put on today....I'll post a review between the Assurance Comforttred's I had on there and these MXV4's once I get a few more miles on them. I don't want to rush to any conclusions as the GY's feel did change in the week I had them on the car ( put about 800 miles maybe on them)

First impression without going into much detail is the GY's appear to me to have been more "sporty" of a tire in regards to holding in corners etc

More after I get approx the same miles on the Primacys

Goose

We'll be waiting
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back