First image of the James Webb Telescope received

Trekkies will get this one….

Attachments

• DEDDF25B-E6BA-4B9D-9028-C97BC8FE6A68.jpeg
    DEDDF25B-E6BA-4B9D-9028-C97BC8FE6A68.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 17
I love science, especially astronomy. One thing I've wondered since Webb launched is if we want to see back in time to just after the big bang how do we know which direction to point it? I mean is the location of the singularity known? If we point it in the opposite direction from where the big bang was located how can we see that far back as we are expanding towards that direction 🤔

I love science, especially astronomy. One thing I've wondered since Webb launched is if we want to see back in time to just after the big bang how do we know which direction to point it? I mean is the location of the singularity known? If we point it in the opposite direction from where the big bang was located how can we see that far back as we are expanding towards that direction 🤔
You can actually point it anywhere to see that far back.

The universe is nearly isotropic in that regard, it looks basically the same in every direction when you look that far away.

The singularity expanded into everything. We’re not in the middle per se, but we might as well be for the purpose of observation.

The Cosmic Background Explorer made a heat map of the universe. You see the “heat echo” of the Big Bang in every direction. So, the map’s interesting precisely because it shows variation (anisotropy) of the “heat echo” across the sky.

Trekkies will get this one….
Yeah, their special effects budget was low so yes there's a reason it looks like a wind sock. That's what they used for the doomsday machine.
Basically it's like we're in a loaf of bread baking. The universe is expanding like a baking bread loaf. You could be at any point in the bread loaf and it's all expanding away from the other points. So from your vantage point, it all looks like you're at the center. There's an observable universe and an unobservable universe because during cosmic inflation, the universe expanded rapidly and we don't really know how much it expanded but it could have expanded way past the range of observable light so we can only observe light going so far back, stuff beyond that range, we can't observe.
Some guys on a distant planet added some chips and caps to their crystal radio. :cool:
It's a few billion light years away and it's probably coming from some huge source like a Pulsar, no guy on a planet several billion light years away could generate any kind of signal that strong, radio waves dissipate by the square of the distance.

Back