First Hand Knowledge 2016 Escape Wiper Arm

Anyone have any first hand knowledge of whether there are supposed to be splines on the inside of a 2016 Escape driver's side wiper arm? The old one looks like it does (did) have them (they're stripped). The new one from the Ford dealer is smooth inside. The wiper motor shaft is splined. Help?

escape wiper.png

screencap from a video on realigning the wiper arms. on a 13-15 escape.
Ford Lists the same part (wiper arm) for 13-18 Model years.
Had to re align the arms on my Uncle's 16(?) once, Dad has a 15 I should probably do at some point, and my brother has a 17.
same setup on my 13 c-max as well.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge of whether there are supposed to be splines on the inside of a 2016 Escape driver's side wiper arm? The old one looks like it does (did) have them (they're stripped). The new one from the Ford dealer is smooth inside. The wiper motor shaft is splined. Help?

Ok so if you check the box/bag the arm came in and it does match the correct part.. Here's what is happening.. On my Civic the arms were smooth on the connection point, once they were installed, the splines on the drive gear (part of the linkage the arm connects to) made the impression of splines into the smooth part of the arm. Poof, instant splines!

That's what could be happening here..

noticed this with a licoln nav i help someone with . the metal is probably aluminum and when the nut is tightened it will mate the splines and arm . its also why its tapered .

noticed this with a licoln nav i help someone with . the metal is probably aluminum and when the nut is tightened it will mate the splines and arm . its also why its tapered .
This is most likely it. There is a note in the shop manual for measuring form the wiper blade to the edge of the windshield when there are no alignment marks available:

1. NOTE: This step is only necessary If the windshield wiper arm(s) alignment marks are not available.
    NOTE: Make sure the wiper motor is in the PARK position.
    • Align LH wiper pivot arm to measurement.
      Dimension: 3.1496 in (80 mm)
    • Align RH wiper pivot arm to measurement.
      Dimension: 1.9685 in (50 mm)

My 2020 RAM 1500 had a recall that the arms might fly off. The reason was that the arms weren’t fully formed to the splines on the shaft at the factory. The fix was to turn the nuts another half turn or so, to form them apparently. Find the torque setting and the procedure to know how much. RAM didn’t publish a number for the recall, just a rotation amount which is vague.

Back