First Dual Action Polisher purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is a 2010 Toyota RAV4.

Lived most of its life in Buffalo, NY covered in salt.

Car has tons of light surface scratches all over it, the previous owner would let his dog jump at the car and scratch every panel of it.

I purchased a harbor freight 6 inch dual action buffer (I am on a budget here, lol).

I am putting together a plan for doing the paint correction.

Any comments?

Step one, wash with a microfiber mitt, then remove contaminates with a Nanoskin product (clay bar alternative).

Product 1, Meguiars M105 Cut Compound.

What pads do I need to buy for the 6 inch DA? Everything I can gather, I need to adapt it do a 5 inch because hardly anyone makes 6 inch pads?

I see plenty of 6.5 inch pads on the market, will they fit?

I want to use the waffle foam style pads if possible.

Product 2, Meguiars M205 Finish Polish.

For this I would use a much less aggressive pad. Which one?

Now I assume after this, I put some kind of wax or sealant on the car?

I have that cheap stuff in the orange bottle with black print, I forget the name. But it says lasts 12 months.

If I am going to spend hours buffing the car, I want to buy a good sealant instead of walmart junk.

Also, the previous owner went crazy with a bottle of touch up paint. The paint is higher than the level of paint in many spots, and some spots even have brush marks. I'm probably not advanced enough to get into wet sanding, but would that be the proper method of bringing those high points back down to level with the rest of the paint.

I am looking to order all the car buffing products online today. Perform the work next saturday.

This saturday, I am removing the rust on the brake calipers, then painting them with POR15 black paint. I am also deep cleaning the wheels inside and out.

Thanks,

JH

Get the Astro Pneumatic 5" backing plate. That will let you run most any 6" pad out there. The HF backing plate is too large.

I've had decent luck with the HF polishing pads. I bought two each of the black, blue, and orange pads. Trying to get one pad of each type to do the whole car is a stretch.

For a last-step product, I've had good luck with Collinite 476S. Put it on thin. Then it'll come off with minimal effort.

I would suggest starting light and going more abrasive with products only if the lighter cutting stuff doesnt work. I also have the HF Chicago branded DA and it seems to be decent. I wish I could have your weather now for this day to work on my car...if you use the nu finish I would follow 24hrs later with a sealant.

Stoner's Tarminator to remove the road tar. Some Iron-X to get rid of the embedded rail dust that the nanoskin/clay bar won't remove. A double-edged razor to remove the high spots from the blobs of paint. I haven't tried this but remember Trav mentioning it. Then use the compound/polish afterwards.

http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-cleaner.html

ideally you want 5.5 pads for that da....lately i have been using 3d's hd polishes and topping with opti-seal from optimum car care...doest get much easier...Like sciphi said the 476s is a GREAT wax if put on thin and taken off sooner than later as it can be tough to get off if left on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back