First Conceal Carry Handgun?

The LCP Ruger will serve you well. HOWEVER when you talk about this gun remember that there are two versions The "original" LCP and the LCP II. The LCP II is the newer version with some very small but important improvements.

I have not heard anybody mention it yet, but I am going to recommend Texas Law Shield. I've had them since I got my permit but never had to use their services (Thank God)!
For about $125 a year, you have an attorney well versed in carry law, just a phone call away.

Others may join in on this, but having that service gives me a lot of peace of mind.

All of the above suggestions are excellent and I agree with nearly all of them.

Originally Posted by thastinger
I would strongly recommend the glock 26 over the 43 if you're leaning toward a glock. Since you say you might not be totally comfortable with pistols yet, you might want a handgun with an external safety, if so the glocks aren't for you yet.

The 43 is a little taller than the 26 but the 26 is a little wider than the 43. Personally, the double stacks fit my hands better and you can conceal a 26 everywhere you can conceal a 43...plus you get 4 more rounds and the ability to accept all the large cap glock double stack mags.

Not trying to start a debate, but I would recommend otherwise. New shooters should stay away from pistols with external safeties, de-cockers, etc. - too many controls to confuse you. A glock-type or a DA-only pistol should be the starting learning platform. If the trigger is not pulled, it won't shoot. The exception are pistols, such as the XD, where the striker is fully cocked by the slide.

I carry the G43, but that's only a matter of taste and training. The LCP, the Shield and the P365 are good options too.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
I'd vote for a snub nosed revolver, no worries about hitting the safety or a jam. If you can't stop your opponents with five shots, you ain't gonna get him with 15.

Exactly what I was thinking . :)

Originally Posted by SeaJay
I'd vote for a snub nosed revolver, no worries about hitting the safety or a jam. If you can't stop your opponents with five shots, you ain't gonna get him with 15.

I'm pretty sure anyone anyone who couldn't get the job done with five rounds would welcome 10 more tries to do so.

Originally Posted by ammolab
For your "first" concealed carry pistol?...Taurus G2C. A much improved model over Their past Products. Accurate, reliable, good sights, 12rd mags, and manual safety.

with the $200 you save over a Glock? Get a case or more of 9mm ammo and learn to shoot Well. That could be a life saver. Can't beat the overall value in that.

Agree completely.

Take a look at the S&W Bodyguard 380. It's a true double action only pistol, it's like a 7 shot flat revolver.

I would get a 9mm Glock or Smith and Wesson. Ruger is good too but plenty of others out there too. Buy one that you like the looks of and I would buy brand new.

Another vote for a S&W Shield in 9MM. I have lots of Glocks, but I did not like the single stack Glock 9MM (43); it had a sharper recoil than the S&W. It also depends on how much you looking to spend, the S&W will be on the cheaper side, whereas Glock, HK, SIG, etc. will cost more. I highly recommend that you go to a local gun range that rents different pistols and shoot them before buying one. This way you will have a chance to determine if the pistol is a match for you.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Shot a lot of 9's (not all of them) but this is still my favorite.
https://www.springfield-armory.com/xd-series-handguns/xd-s-mod-2-handguns/
I bought one of those a few years back and sold it. The grip safety never fit my large hands very well and I would often have to "re-grip" it. Since it also has a trigger safety, I always thought the grip safety was unnecessary. I never wanted to be in a situation with it and have it not fire because of the grip safety so I sold it. It was a good shooter though and the cost was not bad, it just did not "fit" me.

I have pocket carried for several years. "In my pocket" carry. I carried 380's most of the time until recently I purchased a Seecamp .32. Tiny stainless steel. Using an Alabama pocket holster. Being hot weather it is much cooler with this
black plastic holster vs leather holster.

My comment only applies to an "inside the front pocket" carry.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AJB0009
I'm guessing that this question will provide a wide array of answers, but I'll go ahead and ask anyhow.
I'm not big into guns when compared to a lot of people. I have an old 20 gauge shot gun and a 22 rifle.
For a long time I have been wanting to get my conceal carry permit and get a handgun; same for my wife as well.
I bumped into a couple local small town police officers and asked their opinions. They both strongly recommended a Glock 43 to get. Simple, easy to use, easy to clean, relatively inexpensive.
Any other thoughts on that or general advise or information for someone entering the conceal carry realm for the first time?
The officers also recommended a local class to take run by a 25 year veteran of the state patrol, which my wife and I would take as well.

Find a range that rents pistols and will instruct you in the handling/shooting of it. Try diff calibers and sizes to see what fits. You'll need to take the CC course, fill out a bunch of paperwork, get fingerprinted (not sure of that cost), pay $75 (at least thats what i just paid for renewal), and wait till its approved. Once you get the CC you can buy a gun from any dealer or gun show.

I've carried a variety of sizes but am now in my dotage so i carry a Rugar LCR 38 in a holster. Its light and you hardly know you have it on. Some of the others drag my pants down! Downside is its only 5 shots. I've never felt the need to carry a pocketful of ammo.

My opinion is that you should not buy anything until you've taken that class and have gotten some experience at the range with at least a small variety of choices. Only after you've done that buy a good quality pistol as large as you realistically will carry.

That said, the default starting point for consideration should always be a 9mm Glock carried in a holster at the waistline and I would think long and hard before straying from that choice.

Lots of great recommendations . We all can learn to shoot a pistol handed to us I.E. the military, but that being said look and hold the models of choice and see which fits you the best . I like the Glock 43 , Love the S&W 9mm Shield and own a Kahr pm 9 which I bought 15 years ago . i carry A S&W 442 daily for the past 25 years ,, unless U feel the need for more then it is a Spring field SC in 9m with a high Cap magazine. Pick a good brand and it will be fine.

Get a Glock19/M&P9/etc and learn to shoot. Then buy a carry gun(Glock 19 is a fine carry gun too) when you have a clue what's going on.

A Shield 9 with the 7 round and longer 8 round mag is a decent compromise if you absolutely only want one gun.

Originally Posted by ripcord
My opinion is that you should not buy anything until you've taken that class and have gotten some experience at the range with at least a small variety of choices. Only after you've done that buy a good quality pistol as large as you realistically will carry.

Agree.

For a non enthusiast I would advise against a semi unless you believe you will be very diligent about ongoing practice with it. It could be argued that anyone who won't be diligent should reconsider the entire CC gambit, but...

On the flip side a snubby revolver is not exactly the most pleasant and easiest thing to shoot, particularly an airweight.

Try some thing with a 3-4" barrel and see if you can conceal it... IMO.

I would also caution against taking this sort of advice from Police Officers you don't know. Theres a fair number of them who aren't gun people and have only used what they were handed at the academy. If my local range is any indication there's also a fair number that aren't very good with those.

All of this coming from someone who carries semis exclusively...

Also look at cornered cat...

Originally Posted by wymi516
Take a look at the S&W Bodyguard 380. It's a true double action only pistol, it's like a 7 shot flat revolver.

this is what I have.
I got it because I have trouble racking full size pistols.
I'm old and not as strong as I once was.

Originally Posted by Astro14

To the firearm question...one of the most popular concealed carry guns in terms of sales last year is the Sig-Sauer P365, and with good reason. It's very compact. Very reliable. Good ergonomics. Available with or without a manual safety (your choice on that topic, I prefer one without, many people hold a different opinion). Holds 10+1 rounds of 9mm.

Like all very small 9mm handguns, it's snappy, and I would choose something larger for a fun day at the range.

But I shot one yesterday, and remain impressed. A much better pistol than the LCP. A much better pistol than the Glock 43 (which I have shot and liked). I think it's the best concealed carry gun made at the moment and quite worth a look.

When you do look at guns, I would recommend, strongly, that you actually shoot them. Buying a gun without shooting it is like buying a car without driving it - a really poor way to conduct that decision.

You may find, as my neighbor did, that the gun that fit her hand and felt so nice in the store, was a terrible choice for her. The Glock 42 that she owned performed terribly for her. Her inability to hold it properly mean that it regularly jammed when she shot it. I tried it, and put 50 rounds through it with zero issues. The combination of ammo, shooter, and gun was wrong for her circumstances but she discovered that only after laying out the $$.

Good review on the Sig. Glad I wore some patience and waited on replacing my sledge-hammered PT 111 G2 junk.

my suggestions: get a ccw permit. get a few hours of training, besides what is needed for a ccw permit. get two handguns, at least one of which should be 22lr. get ccw liability insurance (e.g. uscca but there are others). be responsible and know self defense law in your state.

my thoughts on handguns: find ones that you enjoy, physically and financially, to practice alot with. 22lr is easy. pay little heed to caliber wars, i.e. if you can consistently and reliably hit a target with strong hand, weak hand, off hand and two hand, standing, seated, kneeling, prone and supine shooting positions with only a lowly 22lr then you have found a ccw handgun. misses don't count if you must protect yourself and you may be forced to do so from all kinds of odd positions.

suggested handguns that are affordable, pleasant and concealable with a decent holster, based on my experience: ruger sr22 and lcr 22lr. taurus 85 and 856 steel, not airweight, 38sp. s&w shield ez 380acp. there are many other choices but these deserve a look-see. many younger shooters disregard revolvers, but revolvers more closely follow k.i.s.s. principles.

My recommendation of the Sig P365 is based on how well it shoots. It's quite compact, yet holds 10+1 rounds. Nice trigger. Well made. A very impressive firearm. If I were buying a new gun for concealed carry, that would be my first choice

My wife has a Walther CCP. A unique design really mitigates the recoil. Far less "snap" than the others in its size range. 8+1 capacity is good. I really like it. It's much more pleasant to shoot than any other small autos. The trigger is spongy, and the gun is a pain to clean (though I understand the new version is much better). If you're recoil-sensitive, then this is the best choice in 9mm, hands down.

I've also shot the M&P Shield, the Glock 42 and 43 and the Hellcat. All excellent choices. I'm partial to a 9mm for the combination of round effectiveness and capacity in a small gun.

The critical point is to try your choice before you buy it. Make certain that it works for YOU.

Beyond gun selection - get training. Go beyond just the concealed carry class. Shoot/no shoot is a critical decision. I know that I already said this, but your brain is the most important part of the weapons system. Work on that...

Last edited:
Back