Financial cost of personal mobility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Only an ignorant fool would consider an Accord or Forester to be a penalty box, or maybe someone of great pretention.
There is a reason that buyers pay a premium for certain brands as used cars.
Used Benzes can be bought for pennies on the dollar.
You already know this and that's also the reason that we've had four of them. They were very good and durable cars that were cheap to buy and cheap to own.
The reason that Hondas, Subies and Toyotas have high resale is either that they really are that good or that everyone who buys one is delusional.
Since the latter seems unlikely, I'd guess we have to go with the former.
The guy who spent 20K maintaining a flat six Outback either got hosed real bad or just made up a number.
Anyone with any Subaru experience knows this to be a laughable amount of money to have spent on a bunch of minor niggles, which is why I posted that it would have cost less to maintain a Ferrari in that thread.
We've had as many Subarus as we have Mercedes, so I know of where I speak.
We obviously differ on what makes sense in buying and using a car, which is fine.
I've owned Mercedes cars as I wrote above.
Do you have any experience with Subaru or Honda cars?
If not, you really can't comment on either.

Sorry if you feel that some people think a Honda or Subaru is a penalty box. As the saying goes, one man's luxury ride is another man's penalty box. I've driven Subaru's before and Honda, wasn't impressed with them. Sorry if I should have been. The reason people pay more for certain brands is based on supply and demand. Perception is reality. People feel they're worth more, so they're willing to pay more. If the demand isn't there, they have to lower the price til it sells. Simple as that. There' isn't just two options. They sold a lot of Slick 50 before it was finally banned. By your logic, it was really great. Things sell because people buy them, it doesn't have to mean whether they're good or not. There's a huge run up in Bitcoin. Does that mean it's really worth that much? In the end, everyone has to do their own analysis.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Do you have any experience with Subaru or Honda cars?
If not, you really can't comment on either.

I do.

There's no denying that while they used to make some of the most reliable cars on the planet their quality is falling. Many of the Japanese brands are riding on their reputation. The local Honda dealer doesn't even negotiate prices with their arrogant no-haggle policy (their prices aren't that good).

My family has owned multiple Hondas for over 20 years (still have 1 Honda, 1 Acura). I will say that the service of any vehicle makes a huge difference. A bad dealer can most definitely turn a good ownership experience into a bad one, and make the cost of personal mobility even higher.

I think the widespread fear of the repair industry is what has people interested in a future of car rental and ride services. I personally know people who lease a new car every 3 years because they are so scared of having a used car that might have a break down, even if technically it would cost more money to lease.

A typical cab ride from my home to airport is $120, around $40-50 in uber / lyft. $180k doesn't give you a lot of rides when a typical commute cost $10 each way.

A used economy car with extended warranty, driven 10-15 years, is probably the best cost wise.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
There's a financial blogger (mrmoneymoustache.com) who is firm believer in living within 10 miles of your workplace, and bicycling or walking to work every day, and biking or walking for any errand that's 10 miles away or less. For any longer trip, use a small hatchback that gets over 30 mpg (that was bought used for about $6k of course). This guy retired when he was about 35 years old and has millions in the bank. Granted it wasn't possible by ONLY limiting car use, but it was really an eye-opener to how expensive operating cars are.

There is a reason why he is a blogger instead of banker.

10 miles from good paying jobs will not be cheap. There is a reason why condos in Manhattan and single family home in Palo Altos are in the millions, and it is not because they are "nice".

Unless one works mostly from home and only uses driving services occasionally, it might be cheaper than owning a personal vehicle, otherwise not a chance.

So much wisdom on the net, maybe they're going to tell me next that eating or ordering out is cheaper and healthier too than cooking yourself.

Last edited:
Having owned and enjoyed Mercedes cars that I bought cheaply used, just like you, I don't find the Hondas and Subarus that we drive to be in any way penalty boxes, nor does my wife.
I don't find the need to somehow work having owned four Mercedes and two BMW cars into every thread however irrelevant to the thread that might be, but we're not much concerned about impressing others and are more concerned about what works for us in the here and now.
YMMV and apparently does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back