File Insurance Claim or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your Comprehensive deductible?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you hit an object on the road, isn't that considered a comprehensive claim? It's no different than hitting a tree that fell across the road, or a deer jumping out in front of your car; those are all considered comprehensive claims so my assumption would be that hitting an object in the road would fall under that category.

There shouldn't be any penalty for filing a claim because the damage was not caused by any action on your part.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: benjamming
What's the rule of thumb for when to file a claim vs. pay out of pocket re: rate hikes, driver being moved to the new vehicle, etc.?

There is no rule of thumb, unfortunately. You have to look at your deductible, the total estimate, any possibility of hidden damage which would increase the final repair bill, and how much you think your insurance will go up based on the additional accident. The insurance company couldn't tell you how much your rate would go up at the end of your policy term even if they wanted to. They may or may not find out about the accident (based on your driving record) even if you don't make a claim.

Anyone who attempts to give you an absolute answer to your question is probably ill-informed.

By the way, $500 is by far the most common collision deductible - you've done nothing wrong there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back