Fiber install at work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Blaze
Originally Posted by Skippy722
I would love to have fiber, but I'm stuck with Comcast cable or Frontier DSL.

Don't feel bad I'm still on dial-up here
lol.gif

We did dial up till 2008 when my parents iMac g3 finally died and got upgraded. I can't imagine still using it
shocked2.gif

I would love to have fiber, but I'm stuck with Comcast cable or Frontier DSL.

Don't feel bad I'm still on dial-up here
lol.gif

We did dial up till 2008 when my parents iMac g3 finally died and got upgraded. I can't imagine still using it
shocked2.gif

Dial-up is why I like to read BTOG. Mostly text and loads quick. We were promised a high speed internet tower around 10 yrs ago and that never materialized due to low population per sq mile here...I'm guessing. I also have to walk about 1400 ft from our house to pick up a cell tower. I guess we are lucky just to have an old copper phone line way out here.

My friend that lives in a rural section was facing the same dilemma as you Blaze, and then he talked to all the people he could find and they all agreed to sign up for internet so he paid the cost to have a tower put up on the end of his property 2 acres away from his house and feed the surrounding area using microwave antennas.

The total project cost him over $100K but he is generating about $3K a month in income for himself on-top of paying all the costs and getting free internet that is uncapped for himself.
He did a business plan and took signed contracts to the bank for a loan and they granted it to him based on his good credit.

He's quite the entrepreneur having bought restaurants in poor shape and turning them around and selling for a profit.

Great idea Stevie. Yeah he is an entrepreneur!

Yeah and he's the non-tech type just has a drive for business. I'll snap some shots of his setup next time I see him. He's about 1.5 hours away from me so it might be a while.

I got all excited because AT&T showed gigabit fiber available to my house... for cheaper than I'm paying spectrum for their 10/100..

They lied it isnt available at my house. ;(

Spectrum is odd their slowest plan is 10/100 for 65.99.. its also their fastest plan here.

The spectrum salesman stopped and was trying to get me to "upgrade" to cable TV... and also to 300MBITS service.
I told him well if you can get me 300mbits I'll sign up right now.... yea no 300mbits here yet.
my arris 6183 supports 300mbits when it comes here. I'm just glad I told them no to the puma 6 modem they wanted to pawn off on me

Rand,

Bell has a habit of doing that here... They told me for years that highspeed DSL was available at a previous address and they finally put it in a year before I moved. I had to use Microwave internet from a rural provider till then and it was fine as long as the wind wasn't fierce.

So our fiber install is finally setup and running. Our traffic is routed through our US head office and then to Japan with internet traffic dumped locally once it passes through the firewall.
(Or as I understand it from our I.T. guy that doesn't speak the best english)

We are are getting the full 50/50 service with a 1ms response time and an A+ rating for network jitter as per SpeedTest.net

It's so nice to be able to send large e-mails to customers and not have to choose the "Delay" option in Outlook until I get home for the day and can send from a faster connection.
YouTube rips across whereas before it would play, stop, play, stop. Needless to say we are all very happy in this office.
grin2.gif

You too can have this service in Canada for $538/month with guaranteed 99.9% up-time (all downtime credited), 24/7 monitoring and guaranteed full speed at all times on this "dedicated" service.
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
So our fiber install is finally setup and running. Our traffic is routed through our US head office and then to Japan with internet traffic dumped locally once it passes through the firewall.
(Or as I understand it from our I.T. guy that doesn't speak the best english)

We are are getting the full 50/50 service with a 1ms response time and an A+ rating for network jitter as per SpeedTest.net

It's so nice to be able to send large e-mails to customers and not have to choose the "Delay" option in Outlook until I get home for the day and can send from a faster connection.
YouTube rips across whereas before it would play, stop, play, stop. Needless to say we are all very happy in this office.
grin2.gif

You too can have this service in Canada for $538/month with guaranteed 99.9% up-time (all downtime credited), 24/7 monitoring and guaranteed full speed at all times on this "dedicated" service.
crazy2.gif

Do you guys think you'll upgrade?
This is what I get on our WiFi:
[Linked Image]

Also, would be interesting to see what you get on the DSL Reports test:
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Fair enough, you came from T1's right? So the 50Mbit service was a huge upgrade regardless.

Yeah we had a pair of modems bonded together I think from what I see in the room and it was 1.5m/100k, with 180ms ping times at their worst.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Fair enough, you came from T1's right? So the 50Mbit service was a huge upgrade regardless.

Yeah we had a pair of modems bonded together I think from what I see in the room and it was 1.5m/100k, with 180ms ping times at their worst.

A T1 is 1.54, so they wouldn't have been bonded, probably redundant if that's all you saw for bandwidth. That was fast in 1992
lol.gif

It's possible, or it's possible the one modem is just there in case the other ones fails. I can't see if there is wires plugged into the second card because of where it is.

And yeah that would have been blazing fast compared to the 2400 modem I had then.
grin2.gif

It appears the bottom card is not active (no lights)... Couldn't see that before with the lights on in the room.

The cabinet is locked and my boss isn't here to get the key to take a picture but this is what it looks like now.

20190412_134915.jpg

20190412_134927.jpg

Last edited:
It's possible, or it's possible the one modem is just there in case the other ones fails. I can't see if there is wires plugged into the second card because of where it is.

And yeah that would have been blazing fast compared to the 2400 modem I had then.
grin2.gif

That's what I meant by redundant, the 2nd was a failover for the first, so you only ever saw 1.54.

It's not uncommon to have paired T1's in that configuration actually
smile.gif

And exactly right! It's all relative. In the mid 90's at the uni my dad taught at they were on like a group of bonded T1's, I think they got 5Mbit? Which was wickedly fast compared to the 28,800bps dial-up I had out at our place in the country. This was when the 56K USR modems were "all the rage" but many ISP's didn't even support them yet. So only a few years later and I'm at uni and the school gets the CA*NET upgrade to an OC3 (155Mbit) and it was like "ludicrous speed"
grin.gif

They are inactive now, right? I'm surprised at the dual housings, wonder if you had one for phone, the other for WAN service and the one was killed quite a while back?

Is that top unit a Juniper SRX?

I see a couple of Cisco 1921's maybe SG500 switches and what, an ASA5510 in the bottom?

It says Cisco on the very top box. The one below it is the Fiber to Ethernet box from Bell, then below it's all Cisco equipment. I can get the models when I can get back into the cabinet.
smile.gif

For AP's we are using Cisco Meraki is what it says on them.

Last edited:
It says Cisco on the very top box. The one below it is the Fiber to Ethernet box from Bell, then below it's all Cisco equipment.

Is there a small black Cisco ASA5506 on top of the unit with the blue bar? If so, the 2nd unit down is the one I thought might have been an SRX, but it sounds like it's the service access switch from BELL.

Yes, I thought everything below that was Cisco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back