FF7 worst yet, for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's crashing about every 5 mins - on Yahoo mail, Facebook and just random websites - just too many crashes to keep up with
frown.gif

I am hugely disappointed in FF7 and judging by a quick google search, it seems i am not the only one....\Have started using Chrome a bit and not a single crash, but i just can't get used to it - I still love FF lay out and look and functions...but what good is it if you can't do the one thing that you're supposed to do with a browser, which is BROWSE?

This sucks !

I am running Ubuntu 10.10

It works OK for me on W7. I don't use Yahoo mail though.

Is it possible it's one of your add-ons that's causing the crashes?

I found Chrome was rock solid too so I made the permanent switch several months ago and have been happy with it.

Once you start using Chrome, you eventually get used to it, I really like the minimalist approach that Google has for its products.

QP: I might try disabling some add-ons I have and check - but i kinda doubt it as it is very random - sometimes i go half a day with no crashes and sometimes it crashed every 5 min.

...and Chrome STILL can't open a bookmark tool bar item in a NEW tab with a single left click, and it really bothers me. But I might have to learn to live with it if i can't get FF7 to work as it should...

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
QP: I might try disabling some add-ons I have and check - but i kinda doubt it as it is very random - sometimes i go half a day with no crashes and sometimes it crashed every 5 min.

...and Chrome STILL can't open a bookmark tool bar item in a NEW tab with a single left click, and it really bothers me. But I might have to learn to live with it if i can't get FF7 to work as it should...

Yeah it can. Click on the item, drag it up and it opens in a new tab.

Yea, I'm a Chrome convert
wink.gif
Been using it since it's release. I kinda have grown to "like" the Bookmarks being "out of sight" - simply due to the the fact that my "Bookmarks" have simply grown to the equivalent of a Facebook "Like!" button....LOL>

It is very RARE that I ever "reference" my "bookmarks" - really...which I guess, to some may be "strange"? I don't know....but yea, I use my bookmarks to "keep tabs" on stuff I may need in the "future" - and in that way, Chrome SHINES. with the "Omnibox" search, I can start typing some words, and it'll usually find what I'm looking for from previous pages I've viewed, either through simple browsing, or even my Bookmarks themselves.

It's simply been a long time since I actually "sat down" and decided to "find" something within my mess of bookmarks....BUT, I have faith, that the day I do need to reference something...? Say, a Used Oil Analysis, maybe a helpful Lifehacker tip, or an article/page on oil filters, I can "queue it up" with some keywords entered into my omnibox without the hassle of wading through the "mess" and disorganization of my current bookmarks
smile.gif

On a side note: my only "gripe" with the Google Chrome bookmarks? Right now, I have a neat "hierarchy" (sp?) of bookmarks (i.e.: I've started to organize them....), if I make it through the "tree" of folders, and "click" on a bookmark to go to that page, and then go back to the bookmarks menu, I have to scroll ALllllll the way back down to find the bookmark I needed. I wish it would "save" the last-used-bookmark-position :p

Last edited:
Have not had a problem with FX7 on any machine I have it on.
Im using Nightly 10.0alpha1 on mine at the moment.

I agree with disabling addons and seeing what happens. Very common on FX for it to be a addon, or a plugin (Flash, Reader, etc)

Originally Posted By: Nick R

Yeah it can. Click on the item, drag it up and it opens in a new tab.

That's 2 operations - or 2.5: click, drag, release - nowhere near a single left click - not the same, so no it can't do what i described: (single. left. click.)

Firefox is strictly secondary, i like IE i use it for everything.

Firefox i use to access certain sites, IE is primary. And this has been for some time.

I even had Firefox as my primary browser and it didnt work right, the interface handles things like downloading in a way i dont like.

I am still running FF 6 on my laptop. Seems like every upgrade has it's share of problems.

I refuse to upgrade FF as long as this version is working.

Originally Posted By: ddrumman2004
I am still running FF 6 on my laptop. Seems like every upgrade has it's share of problems.

+1 (Me too)
cool.gif

If it says it has an upgrade, i let it install. Never had an issue the "one" time a month i open it up!

I still dont use it, though.
smile.gif

Did you get the version 7 though Ubuntu's repositories? I am surprised they've pushed it through to 10.10 users. If you got it elsewhere, simply re-installing through whatever application management program you're using ought to roll you back to whichever version 10.10'll like best. If it came down the pike via an Ubuntu update, then post your question at the Ubuntu forums! They'll be able to help you out there.

Just Google "previous versions of Firefox" and there will be a site or sites that host them.

As for updating FF, I have in the past and it seemed that there were "bugs" with newer versions. One bug I had with a newer version was FF not shutting down when closed. Task Manager even had problems stopping it.

I stick with something that works.

Just Google "previous versions of Firefox" and there will be a site or sites that host them.

As for updating FF, I have in the past and it seemed that there were "bugs" with newer versions. One bug I had with a newer version was FF not shutting down when closed. Task Manager even had problems stopping it.

I stick with something that works.

Firefox 3.6 is still actively maintained. Latest is 3.6.23 which was released a few weeks ago:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

All the 5.x, 6.x, 7.x bollocks makes me nervous as to stability and security of those versions.

I prefer to stay with something that's secure and stable.

Originally Posted By: Iain
All the 5.x, 6.x, 7.x bollocks makes me nervous as to stability and security of those versions.

You forgot 8.x! By the time I am finished typing this we may well be working on the 9.x branch. :^)

Firefox's rapid versioning (are they just trying to catch up w/ Chrome or something?!) has certainly been breaking a lot of add-ons; but I don't think they've been overhauling anything low-level enough to warrant any security concerns. All I keep reading about (and experiencing first-hand) are the improvements they're making in javascript rendering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back