Feedback on 2016-2018 Ram 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, my coworker who was a lifetime "FORD OR IM WALKING!!!!!" kind of guy bought a leftover 2015 Ram 1500 tradesman 4 years ago and absolutely loved it. Recently traded it for a new 2019 Laramie to get the options he decided he wanted.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by mjk
Just to continue this discussion, how about some feedback from Titan owners?

Appreciate all the Ram input. My particular scenario, barring buying a lemon, would be to find a '17 with around 30k on it, and run it to between 180-200k. Then start over. In a way, it is hard to believe a cared for modern vehicle can't hit 200k, without major hiccups.

IMP4 - can u go into more detail on your post? Are there some Hemi issues I am unaware of (not having done long term research)? I hear about the 'Hemi Tick'.... what exactly is that?

Thanks.

There is a small percentage of HEMI's (that may be fixed by the years you are looking at) that suffered from lifter failure, which typically took the cam with it. This is the same issue as the GM AFM one. We've never experienced on any of our fleet trucks and as I said, may not even be an issue anymore with the year range you are shopping.

I read up on this a lot before purchasing as well. Seems it was most common with the 2011ish era Hemi's and vehicles that idled a ton. There are random cases from most all years though.

As a highly satisfied F-150 owner, I would not hesitate to get a Ram.

Especially at the basic trim level they are so very competitive.

I don't like the depreciation curve on these trucks from the buyer's standpoint. I'd go new unless you happened to have a line on a good one.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by 390pi

3.6L (if you find one) works best with 3.55 gears.
Most gearing for all motors (except 3.21 with diesel) was 3.21, 3.55 and 3.92

Thats the exact same combo I got on my 2019 Classic. It works great together. 21+ mpg too.

I've got a 2017 Ram 1500 QC, express 4x4 with the 3.6L and 3.21 gears. It was quite the deal used when I bought it in April 2018 with 12K miles on it for just over $23K+TTL from a small Cadillac/Buick/GMC dealer lot. Basically why I bought it, but two years later w/ almost 50K miles on the ODO, I still love the darn thing.

My brother bought a new 2019 classic almost like mine, but with the 3.55 gears. Each of us driving both, you can feel exactly zero difference between the 3.21 and 3.55 gearing with the pentastar engine, but on paper, the 3.55's can tow quite a bit more. My brother tows his ~4000lb boat around and opted for the 3.55s for towing.

I haven't looked around, but used pentastar powered Classics didn't used to be a hard find in my area, but maybe people are snatching them up now?
lol.gif

If buying a used Ram 1500 of any flavor older than 2yrs or so in rust belt climates, one thing you WILL run into is seized parking brakes. Before you drive it off the lot, etc, mash test and release the parking brake several times and check for cable sag underneath. They seize up where the lever actuators poke through each rear backing plate. A dealer OEM fix is in the $1200 range. Mine are partially seized. I have them somewhat freed up but have to do more work on them. I think this parking brake (in the rust belt) situation is the only draw back to Ram 1500s.

In terms of what 1/2ton truck is best? They're ALL good IMO. They've all got thin flimsy body panels. Thin paint. Cheap plastics. Crazy expensive and complicated electronics. What vehicle doesn't these days? For what ever reason, lower optioned Rams seem to have the least resale value, thus can be a used deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back