FCA-Peugeot Group merger agreed on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once owner a Fiat Strada. It had a Fiat motor and a VW Rabbit auto trans and Delco Alternator and a Sanyo Japanese AC unit but funniest of all was the John Deere radio with cassette. Wife and kids loved it. It had a digital 24 hr clock. Wife and kids never figured that out.

I thought nothing good could come of Fiat buying Chrysler, and I've been pleasantly proven wrong (I thought they should have used the name "Fiatsco" instead of FCA). Who knows, maybe this will be a great move.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Well, this should be interesting. I'll be driving a Jeep (American brand) based on a German platform, built by an Italian company with an engine made in Mexico that is now part of a French/Italian conglomerate
crazy2.gif

I'm reminded of the old joke, but don't have the time to rewrite:

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics German, the lovers Italian and it's all organised by the Swiss.
[censored] is where the chefs are British, the mechanics French, the lover's Swiss, the police German and it's all organised by the Italians.

If you spend any time in Europe-you see many Peugeots-from small econo boxes to some very nice looking CUVs.

If they have power under the hood-that suits American's needs, and they are priced right they will sell.

Originally Posted by CKN
If you spend any time in Europe-you see many Peugeots-from small econo boxes to some very nice looking CUVs.

If they have power under the hood-that suits American's needs, and they are priced right they will sell.

A chance to put a Pentastar powerplant under yet another hood? I wonder how many models will get that motor... a new Chevy small block in the making?

What's going on with Chrysler that they feel they have to keep merging with other companies?

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by CKN

A chance to put a Pentastar powerplant under yet another hood? I wonder how many models will get that motor... a new Chevy small block in the making?

i thought i read somewhere they were phasing the pentastar out...
something about a new turbo inline 6?

Originally Posted by Bud
Originally Posted by vwmaniaman
Having owned a Peugeot 404 in the 70's I can say that they are very French. The ride and the seats were awesome. The weirdness of the French stood out as soon as you tried to drive it. As I recall the turn signal was on the wrong side of the steering column. The cylinders were numbered from the firewall instead of from the front of the motor. The transmission would start out in second gear unless you really stepped on it. Door lock buttons were "up" to lock. Just weird. Wonder if that weirdness will bleed over.

I had a 505sti. Most comfortable seats I ever had in any vehicle.

Peugeot 505s were VERY nice cars, and SURPRISE generally very reliable and not too hard to work on either. Seats were almost as good as SAAB or Volvo, comfortable ride but also very good handling, and stuff didn't break on these cars, they were more durable than typical US cars and on par with the better Japanese cars at the time. Dove a gasoline 505 wagon manual transmission,
with tons of room in it, and a 505 Diesel manual tranmission, which while slow was indestructible and amazing gas mileage in the 50s with a mid sized car!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by vwmaniaman
Having owned a Peugeot 404 in the 70's I can say that they are very French. The ride and the seats were awesome. The weirdness of the French stood out as soon as you tried to drive it. As I recall the turn signal was on the wrong side of the steering column. The cylinders were numbered from the firewall instead of from the front of the motor. The transmission would start out in second gear unless you really stepped on it. Door lock buttons were "up" to lock. Just weird. Wonder if that weirdness will bleed over.

I spent some time in France working with a subsidiary of my employer. They were warm, welcoming and gracious hosts. I have nothing bad to say about them. But...when it comes to engineering, they do give off this vibe that THEY are the only ones doing it right and the whole rest of the world is wrong, lol.

Taxes paid on new vehicles is based on engine size. The pentastar 3.6 is a massive engine and would be heavily taxed there. That's why there are so many small turbocharged engines there.

Originally Posted by tcp71
Taxes paid on new vehicles is based on engine size. The pentastar 3.6 is a massive engine and would be heavily taxed there. That's why there are so many small turbocharged engines there.

Interesting to know.

Originally Posted by dareo
Surely this means we will get a FCAPSA Opel Insignia with a hellcat engine right

More like big Grand Cherokees and Durangos with 2.0L engines.

I owned two Fiats at the same time, daily drivers too. A 128 coupe and a 131 wagon which I bought new. They were the most engaging cars I've ever driven except maybe a Ferrari my friend once let me drive. The Fiats kept me busy honing my mechanic skills but they rusted faster than they even broke down. The 128 once had a fractured front brake rotor which I never imagined possible. Italian cars are intoxicating, at full throttle they issue a siren song but sailor beware.

Never worked on a Peugeot but they seemed reliable kind of like a Gallic 240 Volvo. I think the 505 is a very attractive car.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by atikovi
Surely this means we will get a FCAPSA Opel Insignia with a hellcat engine right

The 5.7 in them "only" puts out 360 HP and 390ft lbs of torque, I'd rather have a turbo 4 banger putting out over 300ft lbs starting at some stupid low rpm.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by atikovi

The 5.7 in them "only" puts out 360 HP and 390ft lbs of torque, I'd rather have a turbo 4 banger putting out over 300ft lbs starting at some stupid low rpm.

Like this Mercedes engine? https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27813840/mercedes-amg-m139-four-cylinder-engine-specs/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back