Favorite tires you have ever run

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK...in all your driving history what are the favorite tire you have ever run on?

I'll break it up into two sections:
Format:
Car and truck
Current or past tire
comment if you so wish

Car - General GMAX AS-03 - Current - I'm really, really liking these tires!
Truck - Toyo Open Country AT - Past - on my little Suzuki Grand Vitara, these tires brought me into and more importantly out of places I probably should not have gone LOL. On top of that they were well behaved on the hwy.

Truck

Last edited:
At this time, that would be a tie.. between the Goodyear Eagle HP, and the Bridgestone Potenza RE950.

Now, as far as I know, BOTH of these models have been superceded. Can someone tell me what superceded the:

- Goodyear Eagle HP?
- Bridgestone Potenza RE950? (I know they had Potenza RE960AS but that too has been superceded)

Michelin. Excellent traction, wet or dry. Most important was that they didn't lose the new tire grip until they hit the tread safety bars. So many tires are great until the tread is 1/2 gone and then turn noisy and loose performance. Ed

Car - Michelin HydroEdge - Past. Ran these on my Dodge Grand Caravan. Great traction, ran straight and true(no drifting), quiet, and lasted 60k. Wish they were still available. Hopefully the Michelin Defenders I just replaced them with will do as well.

I once had Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tires on my WRX. Very sticky tires with nice stiff sidewalls and razor sharp steering response. As with any real performance tire, these didn't last long.

Truck - Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor

These are by far the best A/T that I've ever run. They'll get me through any amount of snow that won't high-center my work truck. They have good road manners and wet/ice traction too.

Summer: Michelin Pilot Super Sport (probably my overall favorite if I had to pick)
Winter: Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3
All-Season: Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position

I've only ever had cars so I can only comment on car tires. I also haven't tried the more modern version of the winter and AS tires I listed.

Michelin LTX M/S past- Good Traction Good road manners wearing, Quiet tire didnt dry rot until 5-6 years others way way before then. no balance issues.
Current LTX M/S2 so far so good no issues. But both were pretty pricey, however when cost per mile is figured, probably ahead of the game with these.

car

winther : Pirelli snowcontrol series 2.

really really good grip in snow and still very comfortable and low noise when the road is only wet or dry. size 185/65 - 15

summer : Bridgestone potenza adrenallin re002 in 215/50-17(a 2013 model)

really brilliant tire both in wet and dry. noise is low for the type of tire. steady as a rock with 200 km/h and verry stabil under hard breaking.

Last edited:
Truck - Michelin LTX M/S2
Car - Michelin Pilot and Defender

I had a bad experience 15 or so years ago with Michelin and dismissed them from future options. I was reunited with the factory Michelin's on my Challenger. They are fantastic

I then replaced the tires on my truck and my wifes Caravan, transformed both.

Expensive but worth it IMO

Last edited:
Current: Michelin defender XT, great tire, quiet, smooth, great handling & grip wet or dry. Michelins all the way for me!

past: Michelin primacy MXV2, as above but maybe more precise steering response?...were great right down to the wear bars!

Some of the tires I have had experiences with :

BFGoodrich Traction T/A : Decent treadlife, good traction in snow/rain, LOUD and rode stiff.

Goodyear Eagle RS-A : Decent Treadwear, good ride quality, got loud towards the end of their life, decent all season traction. ( They didnt really stand out in any manner for me if that makes any sense )

Bridgestone Grid G019 : Excellent All season traction, I was able to drive around in light snow with tread down to 5/32nds. STIFF ride, LOUD and will cup no matter how often you align your vehicle and rotate your tires.

Falken Zeix 512 : [censored]

Goodyear Triple Tread ( old version ) : Phenomenal traction in dry/wet/snow for an all season tire. Distinct hum ( They were on a civic which is a loud car in itself ), stiffish ride and loss in mpg ( Hwy mpg went down by 3 mpgs ).

Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring : Current tires on my daily driver. Good dry/wet traction, will squeel a bit in dry and not as grippy in wet as I would like them to be. Snow/Ice traction however is excellent. I have driven in blizzards and ice storms without issues. Plenty of warning before they break lose. Ride comfort and quietness is better than any of the above listed tires. Treadwear seems spot on for the 70k treadlife warranty and I dont drive this car easy. Its been lowered and has upgrade sway bars as well.

Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season : AWESOME wet/dry traction. STIFF ride for the first 1000 miles while they break in, then it softens up quite a bit. Has a distinct hum to them, especially when you are coasting. Good snow traction.

Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread All Season : Excellent wet traction, havent driven in snow yet. Good dry traction ( more than Comfortreds, less than Eagle F1 ). Will grip but will squeel while doing so. Again better ride than Eagle F1 but harsher/louder than Comfortreds.

Havent found my perfect tire yet, the search continues .........

Michelin A59X and M59X radials.

Not car tires though. I have least favorite car tires and okay car tires. Still haven't found that "magical" does everything I want car tire.

Stuck as well in the dry as Bridgestone Battlaxes. Stuck better in the rain than every tire I've ever ridden on. Wore like iron. Didn't have that unsettling Dunlop radial squirm. Even rode them in the snow. (when I rode to work, it was 50°F. By the time I left, it was in the 20s and slushy wet snow was covering the roadways and the bridges were a mess)

I'll have to see if I can find a pic of my Suzuki fenderliners packed with frozen slush. The Michelins kept me upright.

Truck: BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KO. Great long wearing truck tire. Great off the road too. A little loud but for a truck that may see a little mud or sand on occasion, I don't think there's a better tire out there

Car: Michelin X Radial DT from sams. great ride and currently about 50 k on them and I swear there is still about half the tread remaining. Great in the rain and very light snow we get here from time to time.

Some tires I disliked were the Douglas Xtra Trac, Futura Scrambler AP both were terrible in traction and tread life in my opinion.

Car - Goodyear Assurance ComforTred. Currently on my 2nd set (lost my first set when I sold the vehicle)

Truck - Michelin LTX. (Close second - a great value - Cooper Discoverer AT/3.)

The Cooper is incredibly quiet and smooth riding for being an All Terrain model tire.

Michelin Latitude on my new 2013 Buick Enclave ride real nice. I also noticed that they were very smooth on my daughter's 2011 Chevy Equinox LTZ, so it is not just the Buick's suspension.

I have also had good experiences with B F Goodrich T/A line of tires on several vehicles, an economic deal. These are also made by Michelin.

Goodyear Eagles are a good line of performance tires with exceptional mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back