factory oil filters on too tight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is it with factory oil filters being tighter than [censored]? Does putting them on without lubing the gasket make them that hard to remove or are they just plain tight?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
factory oil filters on too tight?

Usually.

I have to say I've been lucky. The factory filter on my Liberty was not over tightened, neither was the filter cap on my Rubicon. I've heard of a lot of horror stories though.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
What is it with factory oil filters being tighter than smit?

You mean they didn't offer to do your first few oil changes free?

I have always found the first filter change on a new vehicle to be a bear. After that, its smooth sailing. My dealer offered free lifetime oil changes, but I still prefer to do it myself. I want my oil and filter to be my choice.

A dry gasket can definitely make the oil filter hard to remove. I always install and apply the final torque for spin-on filters by hand and they come off by hand with no issues. But not too long ago I could not remove the oil filter by hand on my Mazda 3. I had to use a strap wrench. Sure enough, the gasket was stuck and dry as a bone.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I have to say I've been lucky. The factory filter on my Liberty was not over tightened, neither was the filter cap on my Rubicon. I've heard of a lot of horror stories though.
i had to remove my jeeps filter with a hammer and chisle after i shreded the can

Yep. I thought I was going to have to buy a whole new oil filter adapter from the dealer for my Focus.

I tried everything. Filter wrenches, channellocks, screwdriver. Ended up cutting the filter apart and using a hammer and chisel to get the base off. That was absolutely ridiculous.

I use a little dab of NON-Silicone grease on the gasket and the threads. Silicone is supposed to be death to converters, I don't use it anywhere it might get into the exhaust stream. The gasket material may have something to do with this problem, the nice red gaskets seem to work the best. Some Toyota filters come pre lubed with a grease I can't identify, heck, it's probably Silicone.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
i had to remove my jeeps filter with a hammer and chisle after i shreded the can

That's what I was expecting too, like I said I got lucky. The location of the oil filter on the Liberty would make it a royal PITA to remove if it was on that tight, and the Rubicon with the plastic filter housing cap would probably crack something and cause a leak. Which is why after being lucky twice not having the factory over tighten them I will be the only person changing my oil. I'm not about to tempt fate.

Yes, I believe they have a gorilla installing them at the factory.

My Cummins was tough to get the factory filter off. Once had a Hemi where the filter didn't want to come off, broke the strap wrench then had to spear through it with a screw driver for a make-shift t-handle to spin it off, huge mess.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I use a little dab of NON-Silicone grease on the gasket and the threads. Silicone is supposed to be death to converters, I don't use it anywhere it might get into the exhaust stream. The gasket material may have something to do with this problem, the nice red gaskets seem to work the best. Some Toyota filters come pre lubed with a grease I can't identify, heck, it's probably Silicone.

Why would you not just lube with some motor oil?

The OEM filters for subaru come with a grease on the gasket.

I sometimes find that even though I put the filter on by and and never use a tool, when i go to take the filter off it is pretty darn tight. They must tighten up somehow during the course of the oci.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back