F1 Oil Clampdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
You want good racing? Make ‘em drive like dirt cars. No aero. Skinny up the tires. A real ‘driver’s car’.

When they have to lift at Eau Rouge, you’ve succeeded.

P.S. This makes the all the HP chicanery irrelevant because more power doesn’t make your race car faster.

I agree. Make the cars difficult to drive: over-powered and under-tired. Let the crowd see the drivers working as the cars slide through the turns. Would your simplified F1 car have the engine in front of or behind the driver?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
You want good racing? Make ‘em drive like dirt cars. No aero. Skinny up the tires. A real ‘driver’s car’.

When they have to lift at Eau Rouge, you’ve succeeded.

P.S. This makes the all the HP chicanery irrelevant because more power doesn’t make your race car faster.

I agree. Make the cars difficult to drive: over-powered and under-tired. Let the crowd see the drivers working as the cars slide through the turns. Would your simplified F1 car have the engine in front of or behind the driver?

I would keep it in the back, no propshaft running past the driver's legs. If they keep the current engines, take away the fuel flow restriction so they can up the RPM closer to the V10/V8 era. Or else just bring back a max 3L formula with any configuration. I personally would want refuelling, but use the IndyCar rig. Also limit the tire compounds to 2 plus wets like IndyCar.

Maybe have the power/weight ratio be close to what a 410 Outlaw sprint car has. I want to see the drivers struggle with the car.

Originally Posted By: I_4
Sounds all rather draconian, and means that some teams were doing all or some of the above last year. And this year it gets taken away.

Yes, as arcane as some of that stuff sounds, obviously some team or teams were abusing some loopholes. Of course, it's not abuse as long as it's still legal.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
F1 needs Dannica back!

They never had her in the first place, and she's not qualified to even apply for a Super License, much less receive one. She has as many points towards her Super License as I do - a big fat zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back