F1 - 2017 Mexican Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Originally Posted By: gofast182
That was one of the top 3 races of the season

Seriously? I have to respectfully disagree. Once they got sorted after a couple of corners, it was, in VER’s own words, “a cruise”. The top three spread out and were never threatened with a pass even after F1’s horrible fake drama inducing tire rule. The whole story became VET’s predictable run up through the field which was easily predicted by all observers based on the relative quality of the cars before the race. FIA even helped him by blue-flagging drivers ahead of him even though they were “racing” for position. Never seen that.

Agreed. After a few laps it was obvious Max would win and that Seb wouldn't finish 2nd.

If Seb hadn't collided with Max & Lewis, then it could have been a great race.

I think Kimi sandbagged in quali and the start so he wouldn't have to help Vet. and Seb cut Lewis on purpose but he basically presented his rear tire to him at the easiest place to cut. he shoulda been patient but that's ok, there's a chance he might have crashed out with Max later, or been 2nd...or been 1st who knows. Massa was the worst tho, jeez should get a 1 race ban for his final 2 races

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
That was one of the top 3 races of the season

Seriously? I have to respectfully disagree. Once they got sorted after a couple of corners, it was, in VER’s own words, “a cruise”. The top three spread out and were never threatened with a pass even after F1’s horrible fake drama inducing tire rule. The whole story became VET’s predictable run up through the field which was easily predicted by all observers based on the relative quality of the cars before the race. FIA even helped him by blue-flagging drivers ahead of him even though they were “racing” for position. Never seen that.

It became a predictable yawner for me. I’m dreaming of a hybrid-less, normally aspirated F1 with at least two tire suppliers. Then let the fun begin.

I agree. For the most part a yawner.

Oh I definitely disagree, guys. Here's why:

-Contact with the two championship hopefuls
-Unlikely VER walked away with the win for a welcome change on the top step of the podium
-One by one, 4 Renault engines bit the dust, RIC, HUL, SAI, HAR, wondering if VER's would hold
-MAG putting on a great drive for Haas to hold onto unlikely P8 by the skin of his teeth
-VET clawing his way through the field with a balls-out drive (even though odds were against him)
-HAM getting stuck behind traffic wondering if his car was healthy
-Outstanding driving by ALO with some great wheel to wheel action

And that's just what I remember right now. Lots of interesting stuff happening if you don't focus only on the winners.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
One by one, 4 Renault engines bit the dust, RIC, HUL, SAI, HAR, wondering if VER's would hold
-MAG putting on a great drive for Haas to hold onto unlikely P8 by the skin of his teeth....

Engines biting the dust due to massive unreliability, and guys trading 8th position doesn't make for exciting racing. At least not in my book.

I was a little disappointed in Vettel for running into Hamilton at the start. I guess in the back of his mind it was a chance to cut his tire and then motor off after Verstappen, but that was alot of contact... I expect better performed "incidental" contact from a 4 time WC, although Schumacher wasn't that great at it either!
Brazil and Abu Dhabi should be fun though, now Verstappen can't push around Lewis and Vettel with impunity and it seems the top 3 teams are pretty close.

Did you expect 4 Renault's to blow up with a different/new race leader also running a Renault, wondering if it would hold or whether he would continue to be bitten by bad luck? I didn't and it was relatively exciting to me. A driver for an American team with a car that qualified second to last fighting for and hanging onto 8th on merit. That was exciting to me.

Yes, F1 could be more exciting as a whole but in terms of interesting story lines and what we normally get out of Grands Prix, this was one of the better ones this year IMHO.

Did you expect 4 Renault's to blow up with a different/new race leader also running a Renault, wondering if it would hold or whether he would continue to be bitten by bad luck? I didn't and it was relatively exciting to me. A driver for an American team with a car that qualified second to last fighting for and hanging onto 8th on merit. That was exciting to me.

Yes, F1 could be more exciting as a whole but in terms of interesting story lines and what we normally get out of Grands Prix, this was one of the better ones this year IMHO.

It was a good race, with all the potential engine issues, Alonso and Hamilton having a little scrap.
In theory IndyCar should be a better series to watch as more guys have a chance to win, but for whatever reason I never follow it for a whole season. Maybe its just the depth of reporting and knowledge that F1 commentators have, that makes all the stories up and down the grid interesting?

Anyway.....did you watch the post-race? Half of it was cut-outs to door-slammers at Martinsville. Did you bite? Despite F1’s flaws, I DVR every P2, Quali, pre-race, Race and post-race. I haven’t watched a NASCAR race all year. Once upon a time, I went to two races per year and faithfully watched every one.

Last edited:
I quit DVR'ing the pre race. It used to start 30 minutes before roll off. Now they added another 30 minutes to it. So if you just DVR the race, you'll still get the 30 minutes of ratchet jawing like you did before, by recording only the race itself. I can't listen to an hour of B.S. before the race. Especially if you watched the qualifying. There really isn't much else they can yack about. It's mostly filler.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I quit DVR'ing the pre race. It used to start 30 minutes before roll off. Now they added another 30 minutes to it. So if you just DVR the race, you'll still get the 30 minutes of ratchet jawing like you did before, by recording only the race itself. I can't listen to an hour of B.S. before the race. Especially if you watched the qualifying. There really isn't much else they can yack about. It's mostly filler.

I tend to watch quite a bit of the Sky F1 before and after show. The interview interplay between Martin Brundle and the team bosses, especially Horner, can be entertaining. They even had Wolff and Ricciardo in an impromptu interview at the same time a few races ago and it was interesting to see how much each would say on future driving options.
Also even having current 3rd driver(Di Resta) on the broadcasting team offers an interesting perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back