F-150 U Joint replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i have to replace the u joints on my 97 F150 - Couple of questions-

I have a 5 ton 2 jaw puller that I intend to use to press in/out the caps (with an appropriate socket used on the end to drive evenly). Is there any reason that this would not be appropriate? I know that many people use a vise/hammer or vise/socket setup to do this job, but I don't have a vise and cant seem to find an appropriate one locally. (they are all too small. I would buy a big one if I could find it)

In addition, my local AZ has lent out all of it's ball joint tools so that isn't an option; I want to get on this asap.

The shaft is aluminum. I know that the puller will fit around the necessary parts of the joint to grab and push, but am not sure if anyone has tried this or would caution against it. It seems to me to be the same as using any other method to press out the caps. The traditional way? no. Effective? I hope so.

most ball joint removers/installers for rent also include the screw adaptor to drive out the u joint. just remember to pull off the internal keepers (inside of the cross) on the yoke side.

most ball joint removers/installers for rent also include the screw adaptor to drive out the u joint. just remember to pull off the internal keepers (inside of the cross) on the yoke side.

Agreed. I have actually used the autozone kit to do both a U joint and a ball joint - The availability is the issue - I live in the sticks. I'm just wondering about the puller.

I have tried every way available to do U joints, little screw presses/balljoint tools, big hydraulic presses, air hammers, psychokinesis, etc. The fastest/easiest way is still 2 sockets, one big enough to catch the cup/support the yoke, a socket small enough to drive the opposite cup through, oh, and a decent Clarkson tool (hammer). I think the shock of the hit pops the cups loose faster.

Don't strong arm it. It is possible to be "gentle" with a hammer. No need to go mushrooming that soft aluminum by being sloppy with your tools. Once the cup pops out 1/8", grab it with visegrips and twist it out.

Once apart, CLEAN the inside bores and retainer grooves as good as you can.
Lube them and then install the bearings.
Believe me, they will go in a LOT easier!

Did the job last night. I went to the AZ again and they still did not have the ball joint press; For everyones benefit, the puller thing wasn't so hot. so it was up to basically just a hammer, sockets, a couple pieces of wood, and the ground. After dickering with the puller for awhile, I just carefully took my BFH and a socket and drove the cups out. I will never care to try this another way until i get a vise, as it was so simple.

I hate when I over-complicate things -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back