Extreme Heat Causes Pavement on I-94 to Buckle in Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.
PROBLEM
" ... The phenomena occurs as a result of older, weaker roads expanding farther then they were designed to due to extreme temperatures ..." (underline my emphasis)

SOLUTION
Make new roads designed with a greater temp delta in mind and better materials for more safety and reliability.

Should this really surprise anyone? Aging infrastructure needs replaced. What a shocker.
Or just repair the damaged section and move on.

Reactions: D60
The sun comes up and goes down....

This happens every year, so not sure why this is a story. It must have been a slow news day and they wanted to get us worried that we are all going to die if we don't do something. Roads in MN endure -30 to 100 or more temp swings throughout the year and sometimes 40-50 degree swings or more within any given day.

We haven't had "extreme" heat in MN this year. It gets hotter than heck in the summer every July and August since I was born and nothing has changed.
Find the story or record where road broke. There is something different or anomaly/edge case that caused this particular time.

Find the story or record where road broke. There is something different or anomaly/edge case that caused this particular time.
No there isn't. You have knowledge of something I don't know about? I live here and it happens every year. There was no record or anything out of the norm other than maybe a poorly built or aging roadway. Do a search of our local news stations and there are stories of this every year. It has happened since I was born.

That maybe the most poorly written article from someone who knows nothing about what they are writing about.

"On Wednesday, Moorhead reached a high of 98 degrees, the hottest it has been since June 19, 2022, when the mercury spiked to 101 degrees."
So it hasn't been this hot since last summer... You could say that every June, July, and August.

"States in permafrost regions can expect 70 percent of their roads to be torn apart by the ground softening beneath them. Excessive rain is a concern for much of the country, including Minnesota, MnDOT reported. Warmer weather has lead to few freeze thaw cycles, which are one of the main weather events that cause the scourge of the midwest — potholes."
This is all BS. MN is not a "permafrost" region, nor is anyplace in the US other than northern AL. Warmer weather leading to less freeze thaw cycles (which isn't happening...) should help the roads not hurt them. They contradict themselves. MN has horrible potholes every spring.

This is written by someone that did a Google search and used all the buzzwords.

The jalopnik article was trash - big surprise. I mostly never click on them.

I did click on the MNDOT twitter, and they said nothing about climate change, just that extreme heat buckled the road.

Blame the correct entity - the trash that are currently called the media.

I presume this is like every other engineering problem - that are can likely see -30 to +100 in the sun. A road can be made to withstand that, but no one wants to pay for it - so as usual corners are cut.

I could see how excessive rain is bad for pavement. Those puddles of standing water and the drainage ditches spilling out over the pavement (typical in heavy rainstorms on the 2 lane roads around here) can't be good for it. The solution is adequate drainage, but most of these 2-lane roads have had NOTHING done to them except getting paved.

The jalopnik article was trash - big surprise. I mostly never click on them.

I did click on the MNDOT twitter, and they said nothing about climate change, just that extreme heat buckled the road.

Blame the correct entity - the trash that are currently called the media.

I presume this is like every other engineering problem - that are can likely see -30 to +100 in the sun. A road can be made to withstand that, but no one wants to pay for it - so as usual corners are cut.

Jalopnik is based in New York. They modified everything from Google searches to fit the climate agenda.

They will probably write another one in January or February about how the extreme cold is affecting things like it has never happened before. It will also be the "coldest it has been since last January..."

Our new freeway construction is taking a long time but will be worth it. Road beds are raised - the bridges are being built higher - the freeway now crosses the side roads so large load’s don’t have to bypass where side roads once crossed over the freeway - thick asphalt goes down before perfectly spaced soldier/rebar - concrete must be a foot thick and no joints - parallel rain groves …

What's hilarious is the original tweet with the photos were not photos of the actual buckle in Moorhead, but stock photos from MnDOT. One of them is on 35W in Bloomington (look at the road sign Minneapolis area residents).

The tweet was to advise that buckles were possible, given that it was the hottest its been this year. All of our roadways are built to allow this expansion, but there are cases where things shift, move, or are damaged, and something gives. Aged concrete is the typical culprit, as is the joint between adjacent paving projects.

The extreme heat experienced by much of the U.S. this summer is continuing to break down our very infrastructure. Two sections of the I-94 freeway buckled in Minnesota this week, where temperatures hit the triple digits this week.

The buckling happened near Moorhead, Minnesota, close to the state’s border with South Dakota. The Minnesota Department of Transportation tweeted images of the two sites on I-94 where the pavement gave way under intense heat and pressure:

CLICK HERE FOR FULL STORY
Thanks for trying to give the better Dakota credit here, but what you actually mean is North Dakota.

Roads are presumably built for the weather conditions expected.
Minnesota near SD does not typically see anything like triple digit ambient temperatures.
Lies. I’ve lived in eastern SD my whole life and we hit triple digits a few days every summer. We are the land of temperature extremes. Roads always start buckling in the 90s. Shoddy low-bid work is the culprit here, but people on a certain bandwagon like to jump to conclusions.

Thanks for trying to give the better Dakota credit here, but what you actually mean is North Dakota.
To be fair to Shel_B, the AccuWeather article called it South Dakota as well, so maybe he was relaying the misinformation from the article.
At least they were consistent and got everything wrong instead of just a little bit wrong. If you are going to screw up, screw it up good!

PROBLEM
" ... The phenomena occurs as a result of older, weaker roads expanding farther then they were designed to due to extreme temperatures ..." (underline my emphasis)

SOLUTION
Make new roads designed with a greater temp delta in mind and better materials for more safety and reliability.

Should this really surprise anyone? Aging infrastructure needs replaced. What a shocker.
I was going to say… it’s not “extreme heat” that’s causing damage. It’s the “extreme neglect” caused by folks in the capitol spending tax dollars on the wrong things.

Infrastructure should not be an “optional” expense… if somebody before you built it for public use, the new guys don’t get to ignore the required maintenance just so they can spend the money how they want.

The picture shows poured in place median barrier which should have had proper expansion joints provided. I live in the deep south and actual pavement blow ups are not uncommon. I remember them happening in the 1960s.
We had a couple here recently that required the road to be shut down for repair .

The gubermimt has deemed your post (and criticism of them -- funny how that works) disinformation. BITOG admin will be receiving threatening notices to de-platform you.

It's funny 'cause it's almost true......
Well, this ain’t my first rodeo on watchlists… I check at least 7-8 of the boxes on the woke DEI sturmabteilung watch lists. I’m not going to grovel on my knees to play in their club, they have no sense of humor anyways. It’s worse than telling jokes to your cat… 🤣

Lies. I’ve lived in eastern SD my whole life and we hit triple digits a few days every summer. We are the land of temperature extremes. Roads always start buckling in the 90s. Shoddy low-bid work is the culprit here, but people on a certain bandwagon like to jump to conclusions.
umm, not what NWS records for Sioux Falls say, but whatever.
They're probably a part of the conspiracy as well.

Sioux falls averages 1.67 days per year over 100 degrees based on the last 99 years of NWS records, so I'm not sure what part of a few days every year the argument is over...

Some people are clueless about the world. We went on vacation a few years ago to a tropical place in the summer and we got talking with some people we met. When they learned we were from MN the first thing they asked was if it was cold and if there was still snow on the ground. They were surprised to learn it was about the same temp as the place we were at.

Reactions: D60
I was going to say… it’s not “extreme heat” that’s causing damage. It’s the “extreme neglect” caused by folks in the capitol spending tax dollars on the wrong things.

Infrastructure should not be an “optional” expense… if somebody before you built it for public use, the new guys don’t get to ignore the required maintenance just so they can spend the money how they want.
“Infrastructure” has become too many things - roads & bridges is a large enough expense to just call it that - and keep the pork for breakfast time …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back