Extended cab pickup and family?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Modern infant seats are pretty long. Even after getting out of the detachable bucket, best practice is to stay rear facing as long as possible.

A T100 isn't a large truck to begin with. More like a midsize... but front seat position (how tall you guys are) will play a HUGE deal in if it works. You'll only know that by running the experiment.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: NO2
A 20 year old pickup, even a Toyota, is not reliable or safe enough to entrust your family with. The ext cab is too small anyway. I'd either get a modern CC pickup with good safety ratings, like an aluminum F-150, or stick with the Sienna or Prius.

Oh please.

Lots of us drive older cars.

They might not meet your personal "standards", but the OP didn't say, "I've got $50K for a new truck, what should I get?"

He asked if he can fit his family in his current truck for Sunday outings.

This truck is his daily driver - so it's plenty reliable. And taking his family in the truck for outings seems quite reasonable to me.

I used to take my family on outings in a 1990 Toyota. Taught my kids to drive in it. Didn't sell it until last year.

You must be horrified to think that people actually drive trucks that old...

Agree with "NO2"-for safety my family wouldn't ride in that pickup. We all know BITOG is where old cars come to die.....

The Prius is much safer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheKracken
Trips we would take in the truck would be out camping and hiking and such with our dogs, but also to places like church. To me it is our nice flashy vehicle in a way. Was built for overlanding but with a baby on the way it has become mostly a mawl crawler that I enjoy very much. Besides my prius, I would trust this truck more than ANY vehicle I own or have owned.

I am considering getting a 4 door 2wd truck (current is 4wd) in a few years but dont expect to pay more that 10-15k on it.

Big mistake if your going to be relocating any where where it snows. You need AWD or 4WD.

You could easily fit forward facing car seats in a T100. I sold mine for a 4 door full size because its a lot easier and my kid was far too young to go forward at the time. I lost about 6 mpg going to a 6 liter full size.

We did the extended cab truck and family for a while, but switched to a crew cab fairly quickly when kid #2 was on the way.

The biggest issue was the rear facing seat. It either meant the passenger seat was full forward or the rear facing seat was dead center in the rear, and filled a lot of real estate between the captains chairs in the front seat.

Is it doable? Yes. Best case? No, a crew cab handles the family better.

And as far as age, I'd have no qualms putting my family in anything I know and maintain regardless of the model year and mileage. Just because something is older and had more miles doesn't mean a lot to me when I keep a firm pulse on what's going on with it. Yes, the safety features like newer airbags, traction and stability control, etc are nice, but not everyone has the money to spend, period. I've driven across the country in vehicles some of the posters in this thread appear to think are unreliable deathtraps. Never had an issue pop up that wasn't already known about - if it needs to be fixed, it gets done...

For baby/little kid hauling, I would only go with a crew cab. I'd need something that has a lot of rear-seat legroom. Rear-facing car seats take up a lot of space, and you need the space between the front and rear seats. Unless you drive with the seat pushed up a fair amount anyway. I personally drive most cars with the seat as far back as it will go. I considered selling my Ranger for a crew-cab F150 now that we have a second kid on the way, but they're way too expensive, even for a used one. Plus I really love my Ranger and I don't want to sell it. So I bought a cheap, used SUV for kid-hauling, and the Ranger stays around to haul and tow stuff.

As far as age, I worry about getting parts, if I break down someplace away from home. And getting competent work done. But then again, I bought a low-selling truck. Probably less of a problem if one sticks to the big 3.

Friends of mine have the same Tundra as I do, and I hitched a ride, and was a bit dismayed by how little space I had in the back... 4 doors but abbreviated. Works fine with little kids though, mine have yet to complain. But as JHZR2 points out, infant seats are huge. You'll need a true crew cab to fit those suckers in. Now I'm not sure what is better for the back: bending over to put kids into their seats in a sedan, or holding them up. But I do know the kids had a hard time climbing up and in once they were mobile but not particularly tall.

I would not want one of the suicide door extended cabs. While they work... I don't think I'd be very happy.

Anyhow, bed size is the tradeoff with door size. Or can be. I decided that short rear doors was ok, but that I really wanted at least 6' for a bed, when I was shopping. The setup works for me, not hauling lumber often. I consider it my overgrown station wagon. Seating for six also. When I daily drove it for a bit, it was nice to toss stuff into the back seat, just like I would for a sedan.

Hands down, it's the worst vehicle I've ever had in snow. I consider 4WD pretty important in mine; yes it will get around in 2HI, especially with good snow tires on it. But it's way better in 4HI; but its heft is still there. Which gets me to my final point: primitive part time 4WD sucks in sedate pavement usage, as it binds on every turn. With good snow tires on snow it will bind in my driveway; it binds with all seasons on dirt too. [Forget about using 4WD on pavement, ever.] It's a compromise that I put up with, but sometimes I wonder if I'd rather have paid for a different truck that had a better transfer case. Or gone Ridgeline instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back