Expeperiences/thoughts on double dose of Lubegard

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I added another 10oz. bottle of lubegard red to my transmission.

That's almost double of what they recommend.

I added the first bottle a month after a transmission filter/pan drop with Castrol transmax.

I just added the second 10oz. bottle two months later.

No real serious issues with the trans; she shifts fine under normal conditions but when I push her, it's a little bit of a soft shift.

I did a search on here and found a thread, but I was wanting MORE, lol.

So, what do you guys think... experiences/thoughts?

I am a proponent of LG Red and have had good results in every vehicle I've used it in.
I sold my 2001 Accord (with the problematic BAXA A/T) at 109K and the original A/T which I attribute (partly) to A/T fluid changes and LG Red.
On the other hand, I wouldn't OVERDOSE on any additive....

Hopefully Trav sees this thread, he has experience using 2oz/qt instead of 1oz. IIRC, he had nothing but positive things to say; one of them being a further reduction in trans temps. I slightly overdosed our old Corolla with no ill effects for 10's of thousands of miles.

I have two full bottles of LG Red in both my K1500 truck and my Nissan Altima. Both shift great.

Both have had the double dose for 20-30k miles.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Hopefully Trav sees this thread, he has experience using 2oz/qt instead of 1oz. IIRC, he had nothing but positive things to say; one of them being a further reduction in trans temps. I slightly overdosed our old Corolla with no ill effects for 10's of thousands of miles.

Thanx for the reply, I actually saw his comments in the other thread which is what lead me to add the extra bottle.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I have two full bottles of LG Red in both my K1500 truck and my Nissan Altima. Both shift great.

Both have had the double dose for 20-30k miles.

Nice! thanx for the reply, I'm feeling better about it the more I hear about actual experiences on a double dose with miles driven.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I think the 2oz per quart is safe, but i don't know anyone who has exceeded that.

I'm not exactly on a double dose myself, more like 1.74oz of LG red for every quart of trans fluid. So I'm all good. I wouldnt do more. The next time I iwll add will be on the next pan drop.

But that brings up a good question, will the LG I have in there now count towards my total when I do the filter? I ponder this because only half the fluid will be changed (flushes make me nervous) and some of the old LG will still be in the fluid.

Last edited:
Whatever you change next time you will be adding fresh fluid, so you add the new lubeguard based on how much new fluid your putting in. You could probably measure what you take out to be more sure.

No problem whatsoever. I think you are experiencing longer shift times due to colder ambient temp which is normal.
I have been compiling shift time data on one of my cars that has a totally over cooled transmission for cold weather use.

Shift times over 120f are in the low .20's but at 30 -34f it increases to .38- .40 until the transmission gets above 80f then the times begin to decrease dramatically.
I installed a thermostat to compensate for the over cooling and it is really doing the job.
Once this snow clears out and the roads are dry i can finish and post the results.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Whatever you change next time you will be adding fresh fluid, so you add the new lubeguard based on how much new fluid your putting in. You could probably measure what you take out to be more sure.

Ahhh, good point... I will do exactly that!

Originally Posted By: Trav
No problem whatsoever.

So You're saying no problem to the OD of the Lubegard I'm assuming.... that's good to know, thanx

Originally Posted By: Trav

I think you are experiencing longer shift times due to colder ambient temp which is normal.
I have been compiling shift time data on one of my cars that has a totally over cooled transmission for cold weather use.

Shift times over 120f are in the low .20's but at 30 -34f it increases to .38- .40 until the transmission gets above 80f then the times begin to decrease dramatically.
I installed a thermostat to compensate for the over cooling and it is really doing the job.
Once this snow clears out and the roads are dry i can finish and post the results.

I actually added the extra lubegard because of the soft shifts, I have yet to drive her much since the recent adding of said Lubegard.

Last week, I was passing somebody and the trans downshifted two gears, which is something I try to strictly avoid. It's like this weird sweet spot that causes a crazy downshift. Ive only done it like twice before since Ive owned it. I think that might've contributed to what's going on.

I'm an aggressive driver, but I only push her after she's out of first being that the 1-2 shift to me seems the most sensitive.

I'm probably going to add an external cooler come summertime. I was also worried like you of over-cooling. The t-stat is a great idea, which I think Hayden makes, correct me if I'm wrong.

I had a Hayden trans cooler in my 1997 Grand Marquis (lost her due to Sandy). The one I had was the second biggest cooler they make from the "Rapid Cool" line which are all plate and fin type coolers and are far superior as compared to tube and fin coolers.
Hayden coolers are great and made in Canada.

What kind and brand of cooler are you running?

I read an article about trans shops getting one fluid and then "Top Treating" the fluid to meet different spec for each manufacturer. LubeGard makes all the additives to do this practice and some people think its a bad idea as compared to getting the correct fluid.

My plan is to add a bottle of Red to my Mercedes 722.3 at the next service. Been changing out the fluid to purge away years of neglect.

I run A GM unit made by Modine in Canada. It is a plate and fin style that is built like a tank! It is a big cooler taking up about 20% of the radiators real estate.
These fit most GM cars and have a good easily modified bracket, the upper pipe is still available but the lower is scarce as hens teeth, I got a few of them when they were still available but a 3/8 line with a bubble flare works fine, it only short anyway.

It is available with 165mm or 195mm mounting slots.
part 12 and 14.

http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/showAss...key_model=15810

For the thermostat I am using one from ThermoStasis. This is one good unit, in fact the best I have ever used or even seen.
The unit is small and weighs only 7oz, the machine work and finish on this thing is a masterpiece (seriously), every component is top shelf and made local in the USA.
The calibration is perfect, it begins to open at 156f and goes wide open at 165f, it lets the tranny get to operating temp in 11 miles at 32f without it I couldn't get above 113f no matter how long I drove.
It maintains this temp within 1 - 2f as recorded with the scan tool.

It requires no bracket, it is so light the hoses more than support it.
I know the guy who manufactures the unit personally and I can tell you the man is OCD (no offense to him, I mean it in a good way) when it comes to quality. His oil and tranny thermostats have no equal IMHO and I have seen them a lot of them.

This company sells it.

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/708-4921.html

Edit: IIRC the guy is a BITOG member. I met him from this forum and did some injectors for him last year. Great guy!

Last edited:
If one bottle does not cure the problem, it is likely something is worn out. Even lubeguard won't add material back to worn clutch packs.Lubeguard Red did not solve the morning sickness my tranny was experiencing.It's worth a try, but I would not waste more money trying another dose.I hope you adjusted the fluid level before adding the second bottle because your likely overfilled now by 20 ounces.

Last edited:
Ive been running about 1.6oz LG Red/qt ATF for about a year (15k miles) in my 2000 Accord with no problems. Just wanting to keep the original transmission going till Im ready to trade (now at 170k).

I have doubled up on LG red before and had zero issues. I actually called LG a few years ago and the guy said it was good to do. I think I did it in a 2004 Impala SS and a 2003 Monte Carlo SS... I currently have 20 oz in my Jaguar XJS tranny.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I have doubled up on LG red before and had zero issues. I actually called LG a few years ago and the guy said it was good to do. I think I did it in a 2004 Impala SS and a 2003 Monte Carlo SS... I currently have 20 oz in my Jaguar XJS tranny.

Great, thanx!

Trav, that ThermoStatis unit is really a great idea.

Do you think one needs to operate their vehicle in cold climates to realize a significant benefit from this?

No not at all. It allows the transmission to reach operating temperature faster especially when using external cooler that are either aftermarket or retrofit OEM.
OEM externals fitted at the factory are usually thermostatically controlled either in the transmission or by an inline thermostat like on some Fords, check your service manual.

Would I put a thermostat on a stock daily driver with a factory radiator cooler? probably not.
I would if an additional cooler was installed in every case regardless of location, even in GA or most other states in can get 40f or less at some point, that's when the thermostat really does its thing.

It allows the transmission to reach operating temp and maintains it. Good for the tranny and the fluid.
This unit is set lower than most, it maintains at 165 - 170f which is considered optimal.
It allows the use of big cooler for high performance use or towing without over cooling which can be as I found out just from the scan tool data a real problem.

As almost anyone can tell you on BITOG I and a few other guys like Overkill and JHZR2 and a few others are fans of high quality stuff.
I am a nitpicker to the extreme (not always a good thing and definitely OCD) and this unit is top shelf.

This is not a compensated endorsement. I did some injectors worth the retail price for mine but when something is as good and well built as this I want to pass it on.
It may cost a little more than the cheapies but well worth it, you get what you pay for.

Well, it turns out that my soft shifts were because my factory non-adjustable vacuum modulator was week and allowing to much vacuum somehow.

I swapped it out for an adjustable one and all is good. I dialed it up firmer than OEM specs so I now have even tighter shifts!

This is a good thing as I wont burn up the clutches with mushy grandma shifts, lol.

Higher charge pressure= more oil flow, thus increasing lubrication and cooling things down.

A win win I think.

As for the extra Lubegard, it certainly wasnt needed, but now I know (thanx to you guys) that it cant hurt.... thanx again for all of the replies!

-Ivan

Originally Posted By: babyivan
Well, it turns out that my soft shifts were because my factory non-adjustable vacuum modulator was week and allowing to much vacuum somehow.

I swapped it out for an adjustable one and all is ggod. I dialed it up firmer than OEM specs so I now have even tighter shifts!

This is a good thing as I wont burn up the clutches with mushy grandma shifts, lol.

Higher charge pressure= more oil flow, thus increasing lubrication and cooling things down.

A win win I think.

As for the extra Lubegard, it certainly wasnt needed, but now I know (thanx to you guys) that it cant hurt.... thanx again for all of the replies!

-Ivan

Thanks for the followup.

Regarding additives, we should always be asking: What am I trying to solve and will this additive really solve the problem or just reduce my wallet size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back