Ever hear of "Earthing"?

A quick Google search did not come up with a lot of research. The OP's link has this red flag at the end:
"G Chevalier and JL Oschman are independent contractors for EarthFx Inc., the company sponsoring earthing research, and own a small percentage of shares in the company. Richard Brown is an independent contractor for EarthFx Inc., the company sponsoring earthing research."

This article attempts to debunk the idea: https://www.homesandgardens.com/int...-weigh-in-on-grounding-an-unusual-sleep-trend

I am initially skeptical and would have to review a lot more literature. On a similar note, when I researched the effectiveness of SAD lights (Seasonal Affective Disorder), I found tons of peer reviewed research suggesting that they (can) work.

I tried it back then when the articles came out. I sat in a chair with my bare feet on the ground. It felt good and was cool. But other than that…..meh.

I believe there are potential benefits, including some interesting claims. There is a documentary "Earthing", which was my introduction to the idea. Earthing used to be just be walking prior to "civilized" society. I have tried it, but living in an urban area, I find it difficult to attempt often. And in the summertime, Phoenix is a tough sell for barefoot walking 😁

I often wonder around in the backyard without shoes. So I guess I am earthed. My northern transplant neighbors make fun of me. They wear shoes and socks always, everywhere.

I wonder if the beach counts also?

I used to be a skeptic of this sort of thing, and unfortunately a lot of grifters give us good cause to be so. However I think there is much we don't understand, and the last few years prove to me that you need to do a lot of thinking for yourself.

I wouldn't buy a product or sit in chair outside for 20 minutes a day just for this, but going for a walk in bare feet isn't a bad idea if you can, in the backyard or beach or where ever you aren't going to step on something bad.
In NZ the Mauri culture has a bare feet tradition and lots of people do their regular day to day stuff without shoes, and lots of people there do wear shoes. So I guess the health claims of regular grounding could be studied there pretty easily.

I've never heard of this and was born a skeptic. But there is at least some scientific plausibility to the whole idea. Cells (the biological kind) do react to electrical potentials.

When you walk your bones (which are a piezoelectrical material) produce an electrical polarization that results in a reaction by the cells located in bone. Bone isn't an inert material. It's a biological structure and slowly turning over. That's part of the explanation why people who do heavy work have stronger bones than people who do nothing. There is a lot more to it than that but I won't go in to it here.

And you can speed up the healing of a fracture using an electrical potential. This is occasionally used clinically when a fracture just won't heal. Fractures usually just heal on their own, thank you very much.

And nerve impulses are passed from axon to axon, and from axon to muscle fiber with an electrical potential change.

So grounding? It could have some role in body cellular activity. Remains to be seen. I remain skeptical.

Could this lead to Dr. Scholls changing from gel in their store-packaged insoles, to insoles filled with Black Dirt?

Could this lead to future Air Jordan Shoes Claims where a typical NBA Basketball Forward or Center leaps to please the large crowd with a 360 Dunk, only to find his black dirt filled Air Jordans (which he now wears barefoot) now allow him to touch the ceiling of the Arena, while doing a 720 Spin.?

Earth and it's particles are good for us. Just don't dig so deep, cuz' you may run into China on the other end.

Thought of "Earthing" as the same as "Grounding". Regarding making sure you have a good contact in a electrical system. Guess I am wrong.

Back