EV styles

When it comes to EV's it seems most are readily identified as one just by their looks. I've noticed a few, looking at you Audi Q4 etron, that look more like a regular ICE vehicle.
When I comes to EV styling would you prefer the "EV" look or more traditional vehicle styling?
Screenshot_20220208-193523_Chrome.jpg

I wish they'd just make regular cars, with an electric version.
Agree. I don't even want the driving assistance features, just a simple design with a gear selector that looks like a conventional automatic. I also want a full or spacesaver spare tire rather than just a can of goop.

I don't know what "regular look" vs "EV look" means but I do not like wasteful bling now that I am middle age. Spoiler, wings, flares, gills, etc be ****.

For EV they need way less air flowing under the hood for cooling, so the grill design can be very different. They still need a relatively flat instead of sharp front for pedestrian safety reasons so the shape won't change too much. I do like the way Tesla's front have less grill area vs other EV with fake grill that's just blocked off.

Otherwise basically the shape is pre-defined by aerodynamics.

I'd prefer more conventional styling. Make it look as close as possible to the regular ICE version. I would think that buyers in general would be more apt to go for an electric version of a car model they're already familiar with vs a different name and completely different design.

I prefer conventional styling, I was looking at the BMW X5 iDrive 45e PHEV but now am leaning more toward the i4 M50:
1644391120701.jpg

I think the iX is just "too much" in the looks department on the front end:
1644391204926.jpg

May still end up going PHEV though, I'm waffling like crazy and nobody has any stock of anything right now anyways, so a decision, if there is one, is still a ways off. I also really like the look of the Audi e-tron Sportback S-Line:
1644391345104.jpg

But it's EXPENSIVE. That example is currently $118,000.00.

I prefer conventional styling, I was looking at the BMW X5 iDrive 45e PHEV but now am leaning more toward the i4 M50:
View attachment 88201

I think the iX is just "too much" in the looks department on the front end:
View attachment 88202

May still end up going PHEV though, I'm waffling like crazy and nobody has any stock of anything right now anyways, so a decision, if there is one, is still a ways off. I also really like the look of the Audi e-tron Sportback S-Line:
View attachment 88203

But it's EXPENSIVE. That example is currently $118,000.00.
I love BMWs but the iconic kidney bean grills have grown into the look of an angry beaver and I just don't get the new design language. But to each their own I guess.

I love BMWs but the iconic kidney bean grills have grown into the look of an angry beaver and I just don't get the new design language. But to each their own I guess.
Yes, they are even a bit much on the i4, but definitely not as obnoxious as on the iX. The interiors are also gorgeous, and that's a big sticking point for me.

The only way of telling my MINI EV apart (externally) from an ICE version is some badging and the lack of a tailpipe. Internally the shifter is marked differently (but is the same physical design as an auto) and when the car is turned on the dashboard display is slightly different. There are a couple of different buttons on the centre console too.
MINI Cooper SE.jpg

The only way of telling my MINI EV apart (externally) from an ICE version is some badging and the lack of a tailpipe. Internally the shifter is marked differently (but is the same physical design as an auto) and when the car is turned on the dashboard display is slightly different. There are a couple of different buttons on the centre console too.
View attachment 88236
That thing is begging for a few sticks of dynamite... to each their own, but ****nnn!

I personally dont like it when EV's have giant grills in the front.

The model 3 and Y styling isnt bad but it is kind of bland. Decent looking and somewhat futuristic. The model S, in my opinion, looks absolutely terrible. Like a mid term project for a sophmore design student in 2005 to design a car body. Or like a generic full size sedan from a PS2 era video game.

Lucid Air looks incredible imo

That VW EV looks pretty good too. Theyve never made my favorite looking cars but their design language has always been modern and sophisticated in comparison to their competition IMO.

I dislike the "blanked off grill" look that Tesla has. It simply looks unfinished. There is absolutely no reason to have a grill, or the look of a grill, or the look of "the place where the grill used to be". The aftermarket offers some solutions with varying degrees of success:

Hai+Le+Tesla+Model+3.jpg

1644675207794.jpeg

Maybe that Rivian could have used a grill and radiator to cool the battery when they pulled cargo up a mountain. They do have cooling systems, and what is better than putting it up front in the airstream in a wind drag friendly way?

Maybe that Rivian could have used a grill and radiator to cool the battery when they pulled cargo up a mountain. They do have cooling systems, and what is better than putting it up front in the airstream in a wind drag friendly way?
Hahaha! Of course, I feel the proper solution is to have a much larger battery. That way, the discharge rate is well below 1C and temperatures will not be a problem. A 6000 pound, 350KWH battery should be just about right, and competitive with small gas powered trucks :p

Actually, after the Rivian towing thread, I was wondering why EV cooling for a vehicle that can tow is not up to the same design standards as ice vehicles? Ice puts out a lot of heat, but they cool it down. I guess it is 100 year old companies who have been building trucks as long as there have been trucks, they know how to build trucks. As in trucks that tow up hills.

Back