EV Police Pursuit Vehicles

With a drivetrain warrantly 2-3x longer than an ICE vehicle, but that's never considered either. I'm specifically referencing required basic scheduled maintenance. Warranty should cover anything outside required maintenance regardless of what it's powered by. It's not a "you're on your own" situation once you leave the lot. At least no car I've ever bought has been when it was purchased new. Extreme example but my scheduled maintenance on my ICE vehicle was near $1k this year. My EV was $5 if you included the cost of the washer fluid I added to it.

Does the department actually consider resale value? They're driven into the ground and then sold at auction here. They aren't worth more than a few grand at the end of the whole thing.

Throw away car at a high price? So are the Fords that my local department is buying. 😂

A customer drove his brand new tesla off the lot.
Hours later the suspension collapsed, and tesla charged him $14000 to fix it, so their warranty is worthless.

A customer drove his brand new tesla off the lot.
Hours later the suspension collapsed, and tesla charged him $14000 to fix it, so their warranty is worthless.
Was it damaged? Sounds like an insurance claim and not a warranty claim. Sounds like my Ford experience but 5 instead of 4 digits.

Tesla will maintain them. Its pretty cheap. Infrastructure? Im sure the firehouse or PD can handle a few 48 amp chargers.
Yeah, it is not working that way.
Otherwise, PDs would run everything all the time. There is an acquisition process. It is a public organization, you cannot just acquire things that easily.

Yeah, it is not working that way.
Otherwise, PDs would run everything all the time. There is an acquisition process. It is a public organization, you cannot just acquire things that easily.
I understand this, but you're making it out to be more complex than it is. Otherwise how have they evolved their fleets to present?

I understand this, but you're making it out to be more complex than it is. Otherwise how have they evolved their fleets to present?
Do you actually know how long it takes to evolve a fleet? I mean, you are talking about this like it is a morning decision whether you will buy one type of tire or another.
Running something like Tesla is unuseful. You need to equip that car, you need to make it workable for the police. Police have specific standards etc. All that has to go through established administration, procedures etc. You cannot just take a Tesla, paint it, and say: yep, you go get them. Have you seen the equipment the average police car has in the trunk? Have you seen how the rear seat is built? The communication equipment etc? Sure, you can take Tesla for some administrative duties hypothetically, but if you're talking small PDs, that is a luxury to run a special car just for that. Small mountain departments here are weighing hard which tires they will run just to save few $$$, let alone having the specific car for some administrative duties.

Do you actually know how long it takes to evolve a fleet? I mean, you are talking about this like it is a morning decision whether you will buy one type of tire or another.
Running something like Tesla is unuseful. You need to equip that car, you need to make it workable for the police. Police have specific standards etc. All that has to go through established administration, procedures etc. You cannot just take a Tesla, paint it, and say: yep, you go get them. Have you seen the equipment the average police car has in the trunk? Have you seen how the rear seat is built? The communication equipment etc? Sure, you can take Tesla for some administrative duties hypothetically, but if you're talking small PDs, that is a luxury to run a special car just for that. Small mountain departments here are weighing hard which tires they will run just to save few $$$, let alone having the specific car for some administrative duties.

I can keep posting...

I can keep posting...
You really don’t get what it means “may” and meanings of grants given by government.

I can keep posting...
So how much is the EV Police Car? Seems funny I cant find the price
Also the car is out of warranty in maybe 2 years of police work . The claims on engine and battery are meaningless are far as what they are designed for until its proven.

The words "can" and "predictions" are completely meaningless. Until proven. Just cars "can" fail and others "predictions" are this will fail with Tesla. But its easy to get your Police department and your name in the news when so few are used.

Last edited:
It's also extremely presumptuous that it'll cost more to operate with less cost to power and nearly no scheduled maintenance. That's why I said we're both assuming many things. ..
Im not presuming. I would suggest its "presumptuous" to think an EV police car will cost less to the taxpayer then a ICE vehicle over the life of the vehicle, from purchase to auction. To me, it's this type of thinking that always cost the taxpayers more money than it should.
Consumer Reports has even reported that some consumers are better off with Hybrids over all EV.

All I want is facts and I cant even get a fact on how much this Police EV cost vs an ICE Police car. All I hear are "predicts" "can" and/or a one year track record of 3 EV police cars. *LOL* and still do not know the actual purchase price, repair costs, auction value.
Bottom line is it is too soon to know and in 5 years or less the real cost will be out but wont matter then.

Last edited:
Im not presuming. I would suggest its "presumptuous" to think an EV police car will cost less to the taxpayer then a ICE vehicle over the life of the vehicle, from purchase to auction. To me, it's this type of thinking that always cost the taxpayers more money than it should.
Consumer Reports has even reported that some consumers are better off with Hybrids over all EV.

All I want is facts and I cant even get a fact on how much this Police EV cost vs an ICE Police car. All I hear are "predicts" "can" and/or a one year track record of 3 EV police cars. *LOL* and still do not know the actual purchase price, repair costs, auction value.
Bottom line is it is too soon to know and in 5 years or less the real cost will be out but wont matter then.
That's all we have so far. I guess check in a few years later on the above story. These cars over time will have to be replaced and this is what the manufacturers are going to start offering. I think we're going to find out if it is good or bad whether we want to or not. I know what it has done for my costs and I'd do it 100x over again. Probably in my case doesn't hurt that it replaced an unreliable Edge that Ford wouldn't stand behind for me. It doesn't give me warm fuzzies knowing that the dealer that told me to pound sand on my service costs are the ones responsible for servicing my local law enforcement cars.

The above story about only 3 squad cars shows a drastic amount of savings, though they should have included the cost of the random placed chargers. That's an initial cost, but it's a cost.

The above story about only 3 squad cars shows a drastic amount of savings, though they should have included the cost of the random placed chargers. That's an initial cost, but it's a cost.
*LOL*
It's all good, no sense in going in circles anymore. I cant see any savings unless I know how much the cars cost compared to ICE and the resale (auction) value compared to ICE and whatever else I am missing. For the department to say things and not tell the whole story means nothing. One vehicle may have more costs in one area and less in another.
Once the cars are ready to be retired we will know, and once all police cars are EV we will know more and it wont be pretty.

Prefect example, what happens when one of those 3 police cruisers is chasing someone and scrapes the bottom of the EV and dents the battery pack or its shield? All good, Merry Christmas !

*LOL*
It's all good, no sense in going in circles anymore. I cant see any savings unless I know how much the cars cost compared to ICE and the resale (auction) value compared to ICE and whatever else I am missing. For the department to say things and not tell the whole story means nothing. One vehicle may have more costs in one area and less in another.
Once the cars are ready to be retired we will know, and once all police cars are EV we will know more and it wont be pretty.

Prefect example, what happens when one of those 3 police cruisers is chasing someone and scrapes the bottom of the EV and dents the battery pack or its shield? All good, Merry Christmas !
My only point is to look up what auction PD vehicles are selling for in your area. Here it's much much less than the fuel savings would be. Again there's more to it, but we got nothing on definitive information from it actually being done. 👍

There is another factor that is harder to quantify. Go to a car show, like the Good Guys. You are likely to see a Police painted Z-28 or something that gets attention. Attention leads to communication. Communication leads to understanding. Understanding can lead to more young people considering law enforcement as a career.

Techy Teslas are then new Z-28s for many young people. Just my 2 cents...

Wrong answer. People want to argue. Let's not be realistic about this, emotions need satisfying.

There is another factor that is harder to quantify. Go to a car show, like the Good Guys. You are likely to see a Police painted Z-28 or something that gets attention. Attention leads to communication. Communication leads to understanding. Understanding can lead to more young people considering law enforcement as a career.

Techy Teslas are then new Z-28s for many young people. Just my 2 cents...
You're not wrong. I remember when I walked up to my university PD Charger and asked them why the hell they needed a 375hp police interceptor to patrol the 1.8mi diameter campus and parking lots in between. They politely told me the car itself cost less than a replacement crown vic, and that the DoD of the 5.7L HEMI allowed for lower running costs annually, so really, it was cheaper than another CV and looked cool, so why not? I really couldn't argue, the cops were super chill confronting an angry over-charged uni student, and I grew to respect them more.

You're not wrong. I remember when I walked up to my university PD Charger and asked them why the hell they needed a 375hp police interceptor to patrol the 1.8mi diameter campus and parking lots in between. They politely told me the car itself cost less than a replacement crown vic, and that the DoD of the 5.7L HEMI allowed for lower running costs annually, so really, it was cheaper than another CV and looked cool, so why not? I really couldn't argue, the cops were super chill confronting an angry over-charged uni student, and I grew to respect them more.
They don’t patrol 1.8mls. I consult with several university PDs. They are true PD. If there is an incident 10mls away, and they are closest patrol or someone needs help, they go.

In Colorado Springs when we had shooting at planned parenthood office in 2015, which was 5-6mls away from local university, first responder was university cop. Unfortunately, he was killed bcs. he was first there and alone.

They don’t patrol 1.8mls. I consult with several university PDs. They are true PD. If there is an incident 10mls away, and they are closest patrol or someone needs help, they go.

In Colorado Springs when we had shooting at planned parenthood office in 2015, which was 5-6mls away from local university, first responder was university cop. Unfortunately, he was killed bcs. he was first there and alone.
Never once had I seen them respond off campus. Not once did I see them at wrecks even within eyesight of the university. Although you may be correct for your university, and yes, they were "real cops". All former detectives and State Troopers and the like.

Never once had I seen them respond off campus. Not once did I see them at wrecks even within eyesight of the university. Although you may be correct for your university, and yes, they were "real cops". All former detectives and State Troopers and the like.
I really don’t know what is happening at that university, but university PD and local, city PD MUST have integration! If they don’t, that is astonishing negligence. That is NOT how 99% of university and city PD’s work. It is exception to the rule.

Back