EPA says to finish E15 gasoline rule before summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-epa-ethanol-idUSKCN1PJ2GX

Originally Posted by Reuters

President had promised U.S. farmers and biofuels producers that his administration would lift a long-time ban on summertime E15 sales to help boost demand for the corn-based fuel...

The ban had been imposed over concerns that E15 contributes to smog in hot weather, though research has since shown that the 15 percent blend of fuel may not increase smog relative to the more common 10 percent blends that are sold year-round.

E15 has been a hot-button issue between the oil and corn industries. Farmers and biofuel producers have been lobbying for an end to the E15 ban to bolster demand, but the oil industry has expressed opposition to any policy that would further raise ethanol's share of the fuel market.

US corn lobbyists vs Big Oil lobbyists.

Yeah, just wait until simpletons start putting it in engines not designed for it. I'm not for or against it, so long as they don't get rid of current fuel offerings in favor of it as nothing I own will run on it without catastrophic damage ensuing! I predict a lot of lawsuits coming if it does become widely available nationwide.

Think how complicated it will get at the pump and underground tanks. It'll look like the cereal aisle of a grocery.

More gas stations around here during the last couple years have started selling non-ethanol. Price is jacked up compared to the common E-10.

If big oil has a problem with the E-15 cutting into profits, lower the dang price on non-ethanol, and I will buy it.

I've been using E15 in my 2012 Mazda3 (Skyactiv) for well over a year. The fuel economy did not change noticeably from E10. (Non-ethanol fuel is not available in this area.) Time will tell whether or not any damage is done. I'm not worried.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Think how complicated it will get at the pump and underground tanks. It'll look like the cereal aisle of a grocery.

The pump may have many selections but the tank configuration may be as simple as 2 or 3 tanks

Years ago down in Platville we had a station that had 2 above ground tanks and
2 handles per pump

Handle 1
E0 87
E10 89

Handle 2 - flexfuel
E15 90
E20 91
E85

Add another tank or 2 and you can have almost every grade and ethanol content.

Originally Posted by wemay
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-epa-ethanol-idUSKCN1PJ2GX

Originally Posted by Reuters

President had promised U.S. farmers and biofuels producers that his administration would lift a long-time ban on summertime E15 sales to help boost demand for the corn-based fuel...

The ban had been imposed over concerns that E15 contributes to smog in hot weather, though research has since shown that the 15 percent blend of fuel may not increase smog relative to the more common 10 percent blends that are sold year-round.

E15 has been a hot-button issue between the oil and corn industries. Farmers and biofuel producers have been lobbying for an end to the E15 ban to bolster demand, but the oil industry has expressed opposition to any policy that would further raise ethanol's share of the fuel market.

US corn lobbyists vs Big Oil lobbyists.
Our government is a crime gang.

TT will be along soon to tell us about his E85 fill-up this morning outside the ethanol plant.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
When was this ban imposed? Sheetz sold it all last summer.

Oh, I see. "Ban" is an exaggeration as usual. What they are really talking about is exempting it from the vapor pressure rules. Sheetz must be able to meet the requirement.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Many vehicles say not to use more than e-10.

I don't think my DD '92 Saturn says anything at all about E-whatever. I'm not even sure if it was around in 1992, possibly in the midwest states. Although it runs fine on e-10 and still gets 36-37 mpg and I have to guess it would run ok on e-15, I would not want to go any more than that with the OBD1 system.

Isn't Ethanol about helping the fuel burn cleaner? Wouldn't just 5% be fine for that cause? 15% sounds like its designed to kill older cars so you can hopefully buy an EV.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
When was this ban imposed? Sheetz sold it all last summer.

It's been sold year round since 2001 around here

Originally Posted by oldhp
2017 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 manual says do not use E15 or E85. They must know it's junk..........

I just pulled up the 2017 and 2018 manual and it says no more that 15% ethanolmeaning e15 is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back