Engine Masters Tests LS Oil Pumps

It's because the Gen V pumps are variable displacement. A vane pump is much easier to make variable displacement because you can slide the the core of the pump one way or another to change the displacement, thus pressure and drag.
Most transmissions oil pumps are variable displacement vane pumps and have been for many years, They're still reliable and can make a ton of pressure.
Yup, I understand that, just seems a bit riskier with an engine, which sees a different type of load than a trans. There have been a few different approaches taken with traditional PD pumps to provide variable displacement by other marques (Toyota, VW...etc) which seem less "risky". Guess we'll see how this ages.

On one episode they used 87 , 90 something, 106 Racing gas, and E 85.
They adjusted the timing for the best power with each.

Their conclusion was if a engine was tuned for max power, which in the case of the gasolines turned out to be 29 degrees all in, upping the octane then trying to advance the timing did not actually result in more horsepower.

The E85 turned out to make the most horsepower and responded to more advance. Rather than me going further with that, check out the episode.:)

They need to redo that episode and go more indpeth. Instead of using slow burning race fuels that are focused more on power adders, use faster burning fuels that can respond well to the low timing advance.

One other episode dealt with the question on whether a set of heads that flow better, with CNC milling and porting, is it worth it on an engine that is supercharged. The supercharger itself added an amazing amount of power but the difference between the two sets of heads with boost was not much, certainly not as much difference as a normally aspirited engine.

Last edited:
There was mention the other day about the current LSx having a vane pump, not a PD pump, but I could not find anything on that on the web when I briefly searched. Would that be a Gen V pump? Sorry, I don't keep track of GM's smallblock evolutions.
The oiling system incorporates a new variable displacement two-stage vane-type oil pump that enables more efficient oil delivery, based on the engine’s operating conditions. Its dual-pressure control enables operation at a very efficient oil pressure at lower rpm, and then delivers higher pressure at higher engine speeds.

An oil control solenoid valve, controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM), mounted to the oil pump provides two-stage functionality. The oil pump is mounted on the front of the engine block and driven directly by the crankshaft sprocket. The pump rotor and vanes rotate and draw oil from the oil pan sump through a pick-up screen and pipe. The oil is pressurized as it passes through the pump and is sent through the engine block lower oil gallery.

Pressurized oil is directed through the engine block lower oil gallery to the full-flow oil filter and then to the upper main oil galleries and the valve lifter oil manifold assembly.

I reckon that’s why (my opinion) I lean towards using 0w20 as specified by GM. I’ve said before that these engines require 0w20 by design and got my ass handed to me. But again my opinion.

The oiling system incorporates a new variable displacement two-stage vane-type oil pump that enables more efficient oil delivery, based on the engine’s operating conditions. Its dual-pressure control enables operation at a very efficient oil pressure at lower rpm, and then delivers higher pressure at higher engine speeds.

An oil control solenoid valve, controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM), mounted to the oil pump provides two-stage functionality. The oil pump is mounted on the front of the engine block and driven directly by the crankshaft sprocket. The pump rotor and vanes rotate and draw oil from the oil pan sump through a pick-up screen and pipe. The oil is pressurized as it passes through the pump and is sent through the engine block lower oil gallery.

Pressurized oil is directed through the engine block lower oil gallery to the full-flow oil filter and then to the upper main oil galleries and the valve lifter oil manifold assembly.

I reckon that’s why (my opinion) I lean towards using 0w20 as specified by GM. I’ve said before that these engines require 0w20 by design and got my *** handed to me. But again my opinion.
A 40wt at operating temps is multiple times thinner than even a cold 0w20. GM may recommend a thinner oil for cold temps to reduce any pressure bypass when cold, but I doubt once at temp the viscosity makes any difference to actual pump operation. Do you happen to have any exploded pics of the pump to show the vanes?

I had a Ram pickup as a rental in California and when it was cold and even half-throttle, it indicated 99psi(!) of pressure. Once warm and cruising, it ran 29-33, but would jump to roughly 75psi even below 5k RPM at WOT. Seems wasteful compared to a typical PD where max pressure always coincides with max RPM.

A 40wt at operating temps is multiple times thinner than even a cold 0w20. GM may recommend a thinner oil for cold temps to reduce any pressure bypass when cold, but I doubt once at temp the viscosity makes any difference to actual pump operation. Do you happen to have any exploded pics of the pump to show the vanes?

I had a Ram pickup as a rental in California and when it was cold and even half-throttle, it indicated 99psi(!) of pressure. Once warm and cruising, it ran 29-33, but would jump to roughly 75psi even below 5k RPM at WOT. Seems wasteful compared to a typical PD where max pressure always coincides with max RPM.
All 3.6 Pentastar V6’s are like that, 3,500rpm is where the oil pump switches to high pressure. Compared to a “normal” pump that’s sitting at 50-60psi all the time it’ll save a few fractions of a mpg.

1667140507354.jpeg

So it looks like the main part is still positive displacement; the vanes simply are a controllable “pressure relief” that directs oil to the engine or back to the sump, yes? That would mean it’s essentially the same as ever, it’s just a computer-controlled “leak” rather than controlled by a spring. At least that’s what it looks like. 👍🏻

That's what I was hoping to see. The rest of it sounds pretty typical, the difference is the shift away from a PD to a vane-style system inside the pump, which is like your Pentastar example. The pump in the Pentastar looks like this:
1667140465087.jpg

The description is as follows:
A chain-driven, vane-type variable displacement oil pump adjusts the flow rate and pressure as commanded by the engine management system, which uses a solenoid to drive the pump into low or high pressure mode. For example, below 3,500 rpm, the pump conserves energy by using low pressure; at speeds over 3,500 rpm, the pump switches to high pressure.

A force balance mechanism inside the oil pump adjusts the size of the pumping chambers to alter oil flow. If the oil is cold, the pump reduces the size of the internal chambers. When the oil is hot and thinner, more oil is needed, and a spring increases the size of the pump chambers. This also saves energy.

The pump is driven at a 1:1 drive ratio; its location under the block is more efficient than an on-crankshaft location. An internal, mechanical ball-and-spring relief valve dumps oil into the sump when needed, for conditions such as a cold start with high engine speed. Both pump and pressure regulation solenoid are non-serviceable.

I reckon that’s why (my opinion) I lean towards using 0w20 as specified by GM. I’ve said before that these engines require 0w20 by design and got my *** handed to me. But again my opinion.
Yes, it sounds the same as the Pentastar (described above), but I'd like to see an exploded view, like Subi.

The vast majority of pumps on the market are still of the PD style, though we are seeing a few of this style now. You'll notice the verbiage above about chamber size being decreased when the oil is cold and thick, as less volume is needed. I wonder if it infers viscosity from oil pressure and temperature like the HEMI does? (which uses a standard pump).

So it looks like the main part is still positive displacement; the vanes simply are a controllable “pressure relief” that directs oil to the engine or back to the sump, yes? That would mean it’s essentially the same as ever, it’s just a computer-controlled “leak” rather than controlled by a spring. At least that’s what it looks like. 👍🏻
I don't think that's the right pump, that looks like a normal PD pump. See the pic of the Pentastar pump, that's a vane pump.

I don't think that's the right pump, that looks like a normal PD pump. See the pic of the Pentastar pump, that's a vane pump.
I see now how the vane pump works. The center ring is on an eccentric, and moves to decrease or increase the vane length. Completely different than what I was thinking; I had a VGT-style image in my head where if the vanes were open, that was bypass. When fully “shut” which would correlate to low-speed on the turbo, that would be sending all the oil into the engine. Thanks Overkill, much appreciated!

I see now how the vane pump works. The center ring is on an eccentric, and moves to decrease or increase the vane length. Completely different than what I was thinking; I had a VGT-style image in my head where if the vanes were open, that was bypass. When fully “shut” which would correlate to low-speed on the turbo, that would be sending all the oil into the engine. Thanks Overkill, much appreciated!
You are quite welcome.

This certainly isn't uncharted territory, as previously noted by @Tman220 transmissions have been this style forever, but I assume there's a reason they haven't used them in engines. This is a very different lubrication system from a trans. I'm not sure if the Pentastar was the first engine to go this route or not, but it was definitely an early effort. It seems to have worked out OK, so I assume as long as GM can keep the pick-up tube sealed (lol!) it should be fine.

Also, OT, but I don't recall anybody getting super concerned about the visc used in the Pentastar? It has spec'd 5W-30, 5W-20, and 0W-20.

Also, OT, but I don't recall anybody getting super concerned about the visc used in the Pentastar? It has spec'd 5W-30, 5W-20, and 0W-20.
I think people on the board have even used 40wts in the Pentastars? Operating temp should be the overriding equalizer on vane style pumps from how it appears, especially if it’s using sensors to control pressure.

Back