End of shaft wiggles. Screw hole enlarged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My 4 cycle Craftsman developed a problem. The end of the shaft will wiggle because the screw holding the shaft in place broke and enlarged the hole. The screw hole is now about 1/4" wide. I can either, tap a new hole, or replace the lower half shaft.

Anyone else had this issue?

OK, you lost me, is the blade wiggling on the shaft? How do you replace the "half shaft"? What mower are we talking about?

Weedeater, craftsman 4 cycle 30 cc.

The long shaft has a connector in the middle, which allows you to take off the lower shaft and replace it with other attachments. The silver piece at the end wiggles side to side because the screw holding it to the shaft is broken and the hole is stripped. I'll probably end up tapping another screw in somewhere.

http://www.viewpoints.com/Craftsman-4-cycle-Grass-Trimmer-reviews

Originally Posted By: Matagonka

Its worth $15 used in perfect condition. Throw it in the trash and get something else. I wouldn't waste my time fabricating a fix on it personally.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Matagonka

Its worth $15 used in perfect condition. Throw it in the trash and get something else. I wouldn't waste my time fabricating a fix on it personally.

Actually, it runs great. I'll probably buy a half shaft for 70 bucks and go on with life.

$70 !!!!!!

Throwing good money after bad, or something like that.

You can get a nice Echo, or Stihl trimmer off Craigslist for under $100.

I sold a Stihl trimmer like new with 10 hours on it for $75 last year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back