Emergent full self-driving behaviors

I think this is pretty amazing. "Self-driving" vehicles are learning how to creep forward in stopped traffic, for example, to allow another car to pass behind them. Another interesting one was gesture recognition.

Basically at a stop light, the car nudged forward so an SUV could cut over to the next lane.

I think this is pretty amazing. "Self-driving" vehicles are learning how to creep forward in stopped traffic, for example, to allow another car to pass behind them. Another interesting one was gesture recognition.

Im trying to understand what the car did, it looked like is was going to park but then turned out again.

Im trying to understand what the car did, it looked like is was going to park but then turned out again.
All I saw was the twitchy nature that makes the system feel completely indecisive. I've hated the idea of this system from the second they announced the name. I swore I'd never attempt to use it if given the chance. I love driving and I don't trust a couple cameras and a processor to decide how best to take me around. The first part of this update I ignored the slider recommendation to turn it on when I first got in the car. A couple of days later it updated again and automatically added the feature instead of offering a slider to activate or deactivate the option. I guess not enough people were attempting to use it.

Fine! Let's try it out. I leave my house on a 25mph road and do the double click down on the right stalk to set it. I make it 3 blocks, come down a hill to a stop sign and the car just kicks out of FSD. It had some message about not being able to determine the distance to the stop sign properly and to take over. It wasn't a short stop. It was a completely unobstructed stop sign visible from a block and a half away and there wasn't even a car in front of me. Strike 1.

I get through the stop sign, re-engage the system, car registers the 25mph speed limit sign and then goes past a similarly sized white sign that says "weight limit 5 tons". It reads this as a 5mph speed limit and just slams on the brakes to get down to 5mph. For all of those that just say "just take over!" Of course, but when it makes split second decisions like that, it'll either cause the accident before you can make a meaningful input or at bare minimum make you look like a total prick. Just to explain what you have to do in this situation, it's not exactly just shutting off the feature. It's giving the car inputs to override what it is doing. In this case it's to just give it throttle. Strike 2.

Despite all my pleading in the car my wife wanted to try it out see what it would do when we went out for lunch the next day. We approach that same stop sign. This time it behaves, but there was a car in front of us. It turns left. Our Tesla then pulls up, stops at the stop sign, does this weird creep into the clear intersection with no other cars around and proceeds straight. A little odd, but passable. It does not read the 5 ton sign as a speed limit sign this time. Maybe it's learning. There's two crosswalks on this road that are raised rolling speed bumps and painted with warning stripes to show this as a traffic control device for pedestrians around a bunch of shops. This is where the car proceeded to try and vault them at 25mph, which she stopped before it happened. To put them in perspective, they're pretty uncomfortable over 15 mph and my first drive on that road after the construction was completed in my F150 where I accidentally hit it at 25mph managed to smack the front air dam into the concrete as I came down off of it. Strike 3 FSD.

It's going to take every ounce of my being to not throttle morons that wax poetic about FSD saving lives and being so much safer than a human. These people are a danger to society and there's a lot of them. Spend a little time on Tesla Reddits and FSD articles on Facebook and if you had the experience I've had with the system I don't know how it wouldn't make you physically ill. I get that for a couple of reasons that area may give the system trouble, but last time I checked they called it Full Self Driving. That tells me it's supposed to be fully capable to drive itself. I take that to mean everywhere. Sorry, it's now Full Self Driving(supervised). I'm trying to figure out what kind of mental gymnastics went into changing it from beta to supervised. So it's still not Full Self Driving. Good work Tesla team, you figured out a work around for getting beta taken out of the name. Those that blindly trust the system will just tell you that had to put supervised next to the name for legal purposes, but it's really doing it all! It makes me wonder how bad of drivers some of these people really are when in control.

That was long winded. Sorry everyone.

Back