Electronic Parking Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: another Todd
The wife's new Escape has one, I hate it for a couple reasons, but I only use it if parking on a hill. You cannot "partially engage" it for a slight incline, it is full on all the time which to me is overkill and stressing the components every time it is on (wife uses it all the time). You have no feedback verification that it is on other than a light, and when the brake becomes out of adjustment, how will you know...with a manual brake the effort to apply reduces as it becomes out of adjustment. Last, its electric and subject to problems, when was the last time you had a mechanical brake just fail?

My parents just bought a 2018 escape with the electronic parking brake. My mom was trying to open the center console while driving and activated it at highway speed. It stopped quick. What a horrible idea these are. Luckily the truck that was following them was able to go around without hitting them.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Opening the bleeders would release the brakes so the car can be moved.

Not on the ones with mechanical as opposed to hydraulic systems for the parking brake. This would not work on Subarus system.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Opening the bleeders would release the brakes so the car can be moved.

Be kinda tough to do on the side of the road, besides the whole idea of the parking brake is to be independent of the brake system hydraulics.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The wife's new Escape has one, I hate it for a couple reasons, but I only use it if parking on a hill. You cannot "partially engage" it for a slight incline, it is full on all the time which to me is overkill and stressing the components every time it is on (wife uses it all the time). You have no feedback verification that it is on other than a light, and when the brake becomes out of adjustment, how will you know...with a manual brake the effort to apply reduces as it becomes out of adjustment. Last, its electric and subject to problems, when was the last time you had a mechanical brake just fail?

My parents just bought a 2018 escape with the electronic parking brake. My mom was trying to open the center console while driving and activated it at highway speed. It stopped quick. What a horrible idea these are. Luckily the truck that was following them was able to go around without hitting them.

Excellent additions to the subject^^^.

Yeah, and here's another question/scenario:

What if the driver or even the passenger for that matter, inadvertently hits the EPB switch(due to fiddling around in the center console)and, without even realizing what they've done, and the driver is taken by surprise not knowing at that very moment, what is happening to their vehicle. Then the driver goes into panic mode and tries to over correct with steering or brake...On ice or at night or they're tired or driving in heavy traffic in inclement weather?

OK, maybe by pressing on the accelerator pedal will disengage the EPB. Or pressing on the brake pedal itself will do something else entirely! What if the vehicle is several years old and has been driven in the snow/salt belt over that time where as the EPB may not be working optimally in order to disengage?

How many of us have had older vehicles(traditional P-Brake) that were driven for years in the north/salt, then used the P-brake only to have it stick/locked upon releasing it? Then have to be disassembled the rear brakes in order to free them up. This could happen on the road even today(at some point) with the EPB when it is several years old after being driven in our foul weather. Yes, maintenance is the key however, we all know people(friends & family) who never do maintenance.

Last edited:
I really don't like the idea at all. I use the console manual e-brake handle to rotate the car in the snow. Especially my FWD winter beater. It can be modulated easily. And released quickly. Do these manufactures take into account people who actually drive these cars, or just pander to the lowest common denominator, and production costs? Not my favorite idea, another feature to avoid if possible when looking for a car.

I also don't like(but, I accept it) is the foot operated P-brake. I'd rather have less usable space in the center console taken up by the hand operated P-brake on any car. Most vehicles have enough console, under radio/HVAC and door pocket space for me.

Goodness, I don't want to store my garage on the interior of my vehicles, I just want enough space/storage to put some stuff while traveling or runnin'round!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: Miller88

Excellent additions to the subject^^^.

Yeah, and here's another question/scenario:

What if the driver or even the passenger for that matter, inadvertently hits the EPB switch(due to fiddling around in the center console)and, without even realizing what they've done, and the driver is taken by surprise not knowing at that very moment, what is happening to their vehicle. Then the driver goes into panic mode and tries to over correct with steering or brake...On ice or at night or they're tired or driving in heavy traffic in inclement weather?

OK, maybe by pressing on the accelerator pedal will disengage the EPB. Or pressing on the brake pedal itself will do something else entirely! What if the vehicle is several years old and has been driven in the snow/salt belt over that time where as the EPB may not be working optimally in order to disengage?

How many of us have had older vehicles(traditional P-Brake) that were driven for years in the north/salt, then used the P-brake only to have it stick/locked upon releasing it? Then have to be disassembled the rear brakes in order to free them up. This could happen on the road even today(at some point) with the EPB when it is several years old after being driven in our foul weather. Yes, maintenance is the key however, we all know people(friends & family) who never do maintenance.

You can't disengage it without holding the service brake. Stupid, stupid, stupid. So if you do hit it on the road, there's no way to easily disengage it without causing more issues.

I have had an EPB vehicle since June 2015 when I received delivery of my Porsche Cayman.
In the past 35k miles of driving, I haven't spun out of control and been killed by the EPB, as of yet.

You guys sure do find the strangest things to create new conspiracy theories on.

BC.

On our CX-5, the epb will not engage if the accelerator is depressed. No I haven’t tested it, only reading from the manual. Also if you pull up on the switch and keep pulling, it acts as an emergency brake. I haven’t tried that either. For hills, I have the HOLD switch but with a Auto it’s not needed.

If I am in a situation where I need emergency braking and my brakes are out, then I will pull up on that switch. The chances of that happening is very very small.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
On our CX-5, the epb will not engage if the accelerator is depressed. No I haven’t tested it, only reading from the manual. Also if you pull up on the switch and keep pulling, it acts as an emergency brake. I haven’t tried that either. For hills, I have the HOLD switch but with a Auto it’s not needed.

If I am in a situation where I need emergency braking and my brakes are out, then I will pull up on that switch. The chances of that happening is very very small.

I'm sure there is more to these EPB's that some of us(especially me) need to understand. Also, I am curious if all systems are the same across all Mfg's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back