electrician multi tool

been looking at a new multi electrical tool,stripper,crimper etc all in one tool,,looking ar South wire 7 &1 stainless,and Gardner Bender armor edge 8.25,,or harbor freight Doyal multi electrician tool,,,any input would be helpfull thanks B,

I always liked limited multi use tools. Never was one for the one tool does it all. Though I welded a channel locks and crescent wrench together once.

occasional use,just want it for proper function and reliability.and to add more tools to my collection.

Do you have any more requirements than stripping and crimping wire? Would 2 tools be an issue?

The blue strippers are more well rounded as they have the 6-32 and 8-32 screw cutters and needle nose-ish snout, but these are my all time favorite strippers especially for solid wire.

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/combination-cutting-tools/wire-strippercutter-10-18-awg-solid

Last edited:
Pair of wire cutters (call them what you will) and a pocket knife are all you really need in a pinch. I have one of the spring loaded wire strippers I use a lotta the time.

Do you have any more requirements than stripping and crimping wire? Would 2 tools be an issue?

The blue strippers are more well rounded as they have the 6-32 and 8-32 screw cutters and needle nose-ish snout, but these are my all time favorite strippers especially for solid wire.

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/combination-cutting-tools/wire-strippercutter-10-18-awg-solid
I ran this exact combination for a very long time. They both work very well, but the crimper is not the best with small wires (less than 14 ga) and insulated connectors.

I picked up the Doyle ratcheting crimper but haven’t had a chance to use it yet.

1005 Klein was my go to for many years as an onsite tech. That and a one hand wire stripper as reaching into appliance tight spots for splicing. 2-3 floor walkups gotta keep the toolbox as light as possible yet have what you need to do quality work.

ended up getting the south=wire 7&1 tool,really good for what i am using it for,when i was still working (retired now),had Klien tools then, liked alot,now budget is different,,,,

T&B WT2000, use them hours every day.

Attachments

• OIP.jpg
    OIP.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 9
I ran this exact combination for a very long time. They both work very well, but the crimper is not the best with small wires (less than 14 ga) and insulated connectors.

I use the Klein 1005 to crimp wires as small as 20 AWG and it works fine for that.

Also works well as a wire stripper, though it takes a little bit of practice to use the cutter end for that.

Klein strippers and cutters are excellent. For crimping, a dedicated ratcheting crimper is best.

Back