EFI light 2010 Polaris 550x2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anybody help me without having to go to a dealer? My Polaris 550x2 just had the EFI (engine symbol) light come on with a tiny number 1 in the center. I looked it up in the manual and it states to not drive the ATV as this is an EFI issue and can damage the engine. Says to take to dealer. My battery is almost shot (had to jump the quad) but I got it started after two weeks in the garage. Can a low battery cause this light....or is it really something wrong with the fuel injection system? I actually hate the quad and don't want to put a penny into it at the dealer. Maybe it just needs a new battery? It's not a low battery indicator (if it even has one....I don't recall).
Thanks for any ideas.

A low battery can do strange things to electronic devices. Insufficient voltage can cause the device to fail to properly function. Accordingly, depending on complexity of the electronics, if it can diagnose itself and realize that it cannot process information due to insufficient voltage, it will give a warning.

Try a fresh battery and see what that does.

I really don't like EFI on off road equipment. I'll take carbs any day.

Just fix a 800 EFI RZR with no spark it was just a low battery!! Got to love Polaris!NOT

Last edited:
That's the problem with sophisticated electronics on machines that will be pounded in often dirty and wet environments. Their reliance on proper voltage can be an issue. A bit of corrosion or an improperly maintained/discharged battery can cause problems.

Despite the fact that the components are relatively reliable, they aren't as forgiving as a carburetor. A machine with a carb can operate with no problems with a low battery. EFI needs proper voltage otherwise, no go.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
That's the problem with sophisticated electronics on machines that will be pounded in often dirty and wet environments. Their reliance on proper voltage can be an issue. A bit of corrosion or an improperly maintained/discharged battery can cause problems.

Despite the fact that the components are relatively reliable, they aren't as forgiving as a carburetor. A machine with a carb can operate with no problems with a low battery. EFI needs proper voltage otherwise, no go.

All I know is that after this Polaris, I'm done buying recreation vehicles like watercraft, motorcycles, and ATV's. I've had my share of spending gobs of money on these things and then spending even more fixing or maintaining them. Getting older now and really don't need or want the annoyance anymore. Soon as I can I'll sell the darn thing.

I've only owned Polaris snowmobiles with carbureted Fuji two cycle power plants. Been totally happy with them. Especially the engines.

I have no experience with their other products. I own Arctic Cat ATVs with Suzuki engines/drive systems in them. They've been flawless. Owned nothing but Japanese motorcycles (all four top brands). Never a problem with them either.

Complicated electronic systems are great in many applications but I personally feel there are some areas where simple is better.

I've only owned Polaris snowmobiles with carbureted Fuji two cycle power plants. Been totally happy with them. Especially the engines.

I have no experience with their other products. I own Arctic Cat ATVs with Suzuki engines/drive systems in them. They've been flawless. Owned nothing but Japanese motorcycles (all four top brands). Never a problem with them either.

Complicated electronic systems are great in many applications but I personally feel there are some areas where simple is better.

I agree....but most folks think more is better. I was foolish to buy that ATV.

Should have bought a Yamaha Grizzly, those things are bulletproof. I've got 6050 miles on my 450 and it hasn't had a single major failure.

What I've found is that the domestic brands Arctic Cat and Polaris had very good products as long as they used Japanese engines and drive systems. AC was partially owned by Suzuki and part of the deal was to use Suzuki components. The result of that arrangement was the productions of some very good machines. However, AC and Polaris wanted to start building their own engines to bolster the "American made" image. Problem with that is inferior engines and problematic machines.

In the last five years I've bought two new AC atvs and a couple Polaris snowmobiles. All machines are Japanese powered. I will not be buying anything from AC or Polaris in the future if it's powered with a home built engine. Not going to happen. I'll switch to one of the big four from Japan.

Their quest for "American made" is simply window dressing to appeal to a certain market. Many of the engine/machine components are made in China. So much for American made??

I'm not a marketing expert but I do know a good thing when I see it. Anyone with minimal experience with anything mechanical made in Japan is aware that the quality of those products is beyond reproach. How Arctic Cat and Polaris could possibly think that they could equal that level of quality any time soon is beyond me. The had a good thing going using Suzuki and Fuji power plants. They should have kept it that way.

What I've found is that the domestic brands Arctic Cat and Polaris had very good products as long as they used Japanese engines and drive systems. AC was partially owned by Suzuki and part of the deal was to use Suzuki components. The result of that arrangement was the productions of some very good machines. However, AC and Polaris wanted to start building their own engines to bolster the "American made" image. Problem with that is inferior engines and problematic machines.

In the last five years I've bought two new AC atvs and a couple Polaris snowmobiles. All machines are Japanese powered. I will not be buying anything from AC or Polaris in the future if it's powered with a home built engine. Not going to happen. I'll switch to one of the big four from Japan.

Their quest for "American made" is simply window dressing to appeal to a certain market. Many of the engine/machine components are made in China. So much for American made??

I'm not a marketing expert but I do know a good thing when I see it. Anyone with minimal experience with anything mechanical made in Japan is aware that the quality of those products is beyond reproach. How Arctic Cat and Polaris could possibly think that they could equal that level of quality any time soon is beyond me. The had a good thing going using Suzuki and Fuji power plants. They should have kept it that way.

I did have a Honda ATV that had some issues with some something to do with the tranny and a computer 'chip' or something. Made me very disappointed in Honda since I really liked them previously. But for the most part you are right. I do however think the engine in my quad IS made in Japan....or at least designed there. Doesn't matter much to me anymore. I'm done with guy 'toys' (I hate that phrase). I've wasted too much money trying to have fun....when all I do is end up paying and wishing I never bought whatever it was I bought. For me now life is more than just how fast or how long you can ride a motorized machine. Getting older now and enjoy much more basic things.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

I did have a Honda ATV that had some issues with some something to do with the tranny and a computer 'chip' or something. Made me very disappointed in Honda since I really liked them previously. But for the most part you are right. I do however think the engine in my quad IS made in Japan....or at least designed there. Doesn't matter much to me anymore. I'm done with guy 'toys' (I hate that phrase). I've wasted too much money trying to have fun....when all I do is end up paying and wishing I never bought whatever it was I bought. For me now life is more than just how fast or how long you can ride a motorized machine. Getting older now and enjoy much more basic things.

I've been in that mode for a couple decades now. Don't care about speed anymore. Been there done that and there's always someone and something faster. It's a game that no one can stay on top of forever.

All I want from my equipment is reasonable performance and above all reliability and durability.

When I bought my 2006 and 2007 ATVs, I made sure that I was getting relatively simple, reliable and decent performing machines. That's why I bought Suzuki power Arctic Cats with carbureted 500cc engines. They're a proven design with an excellent reliability/durability record.

Despite that, I was not very happy with the 2006 ATV because it's an automatic. Never owned one before and will never buy another one.

After less than one year with the auto, I bought myself a 2007 AC 500 with manual transmission. I'm totally pleased with that one. That's my stealth hunting ATV. It's soooooo much quieter than the auto and pretty much outperforms the auto in every regard other than ease of operation.

The auto is now relegated to the around the camp workhorse and for guests/wife to use. A chimp can drive that thing. That's the only upside to an auto in my opinion.

I'm not particularly happy with CV joint/boot arrangement on ATVs these days either. My old Suzuki ATVs had a form of exposed universal join that never caused problems. Within a couple months of owning the AC auto, I was replacing a CV joint boot which was torn on piece of brush sticking out of the ground.

Have you ever replaced a CV joint boot? Little bit of work/expense involved. That's for sure.

Good post and you make a lot of sense. It seems the real reason for reliability/cost issues stems from manufacturers trying to give buyers way too much 'stuff'. The American consumer always demands more convenience (auto tranny, power steering, more power than needed, GPS, heated grips, bigger, faster....blah blah blah). All that 'stuff' does is make a machine actually less convenient/reliable in many ways. It's all a marketing game. Fellas like you have figured that out and know exactly what you want....excluding the crud you don't want or need. I got myself caught up in that game too many times and suffered for it with high initial cost as well as expensive repairs and maintenance.
And no...never replaced a CV boot. Silly thing to put a rubber boot onto something that's exposed to brush every time it's ridden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back